Chapter 9

"A football match?" Boboiboy asked, disinterested. "Why me?"

A hearty laughter erupted from the other end of the line, startling him, nearly dropping his phone that was sandwiched between his shoulder and ear. He managed to catch it in the nick of time.

"Because you are our star player! You promised you would play for our school until you graduate!" Papa Zola recalled. "I talked to your teacher! Your school agrees to let you play for us, SMK Pulau Rintis!"

Boboiboy hung up. Oh, that promise. The one he made when he was 12. When he was naïve.

He groaned and ran a hand through his bushy hair. Yesterday he'd lost control and almost killed everyone in TAPOPS. Would they even want to see him again? Besides, he'd given Fang permission to his old watch. It would be hilarious to see him messing up every three seconds.

But now he had another matter to worry about. The Malaysia football match was tomorrow, and he had yet to practice or meet his team at school. Everybody at his school knows he's the most handsome, the smartest, the strongest, a celebrity, and an ex-superhero.

He had tried to play it down. It never worked. He had an entire storage room filled with stacks of letters and gifts. It never ended, so he always had to make more room. Even if he didn't return the feelings, he had to cherish their gifts. It was only polite to.

Boboiboy finished the instant-noodles and turned to his computer. Being rich doesn't mean he can't enjoy the occasional junk food. Life would hold no point if he can't eat pizza.

Nothing on YouTube or Facebook attracted him, so he turned to his contacts. If he was being chosen for the football team at Pulau Rintis, he would have the choice of bringing along a friend.

"Hey, Shizuko?"

The next day rolled around. At 6a.m., he and Shizuko boarded the train that led to Pulau Rintis. He would have preferred teleporting, but they had to keep it down low. Especially when everyone wanted his autograph.

Boboiboy glanced at the station. "Haven't seen this place in forever."

Shizuko ignored him. She had already sped off to the nearest convenience store.

He sighed. That girl will never stay still.

At 8a.m., Boboiboy dumped his luggage in his room at Tok Aba's house, which was deserted because Tok Aba was out manning his store, and left to set up preparations at his old school.

There was only one school in Pulau Rintis, and it taught both primary and secondary school students. The government couldn't shut it down either, despite the abnormal behaviour it held since it was the only one there. The children deserved better education.

Shizuko rented a hotel room down to the busier parts of the island, so she would take some extra time getting there. But knowing her, she'll only use it to put her stuff. She rarely gets any sleep.

"Papa Zola," he called, jogging over to the field. "Who's the rest of my team?"

The older man jumped at his sudden appearance and quickly calmed down. "Ah, my old disciple of Justice! How I've missed you so!"

Boboiboy jumped back to avoid being embraced. He wasn't the touchy-feely sort of person. Papa Zola was clad in his PE jumper, and he clearly needed some sort of fashion lesson course regarding the topic.

"Eh, you've changed, huh? Here's the name list of your team." Papa Zola handed him a checkboard.

Boboiboy accepted it. He scanned over the list of names, and they were all familiar faces. Fang, Yaya, Ying, Gopal, himself, Shizuko... seriously? Now he wished he could quit.