Chapter 19

"Wha-"

Zameer didn't say anything and went back to his chair.

Sadia looked at the plastic tubes, their cut edges dripping with the clear liquid. She knew what he had done. She knew it so well.

'Now die.'

Those two words, so cold and heartless.

But for some reason, she had sensed an underlying meaning behind those words.

He was trying to intimidate her. She knew that if he wanted her to die then he could simply shoot her and be done with it but he didn't. So what was he doing now?

"What are.....you-"

"You wanted to die." Zameer interrupted, looking at her with his hard dark gaze. "I'm simply granting your wish.". Fear exploded in Sadia's chest when she saw the cold look on his face and even more so, the coldness of his voice.

Sadia's eyes quickly darted back to the cut IV lines. There was silence, She didn't say anything, not like she had much to say after what Zameer had done.

She knew that he was watching her, gauging her expression and reaction.

She knew what he had done. Cutting off the IV line meant cutting off her medicine. Knowing her body, she was still suffering from the infection and stopping the drugs from treating her could make the situation worse.

"What's the matter?" Zameer's voice pulled her out of her reverie.

"Didn't you want to die?" He sounded so condescending yet his tone held mock victory. Sadia refused to acknowledge his victory.

There was silence for a while. Sadia could hear her heart beat fast.

"What's the matter, Dr. Sadia?" Zameer said, his tone soft.

Sadia closed her eyes and turned her face away. "Please leave." She whispered. And to her surprise, she heard movement at the side and she knew that Zameer had gotten up to leave however, when she felt a shadow behind her close lids and the presence of warm breath so close to her face, her eyes snapped open and her breath got caught in her throat when her eyes connected with those of Zameer's as he hovered above her, his face only inches away from hers.

"You're a smart woman, but even you can be stupid." He spoke, his warm breath colliding against her tear stained cheeks as they flared up with color and without realising, she sank back into the bed, wanting desperately to maintain space because the expression Zameer had on his face, it scared her that she couldn't even feel the offence of his words.

He looked beyond intimidating, his handsome features darkened and his eyes hard, his gaze calculative.

"I asked a simple question: do you want to die?" He repeated, his hard gaze keeping hers locked in. "Yet you are unnecessarily being stubborn and stupid."

Her brows twitched and Zameer noticed a flash of emotion in her blue brown eyes. And he was fascinated: the warm brown was a contrast to the cold blue. It was so extraordinary but he didn't allow himself to dwell in it. Now was a serious time. So he kept his stone cold mask on.

And what he wanted to see, he saw it: Sadia was frightened. But the only reason she was being stubborn was because she wanted to be brave and not give into her fear. But he knew that a girl like her would easily give into fear, given if she was intimidated enough.

"I know you don't want to die."

Sadia kept her mouth closed. She was scared of him but she wasn't about to give in so easily.

"If you wanted to die, you would've said so a long time ago. Remember when I asked this from you the first time, you had said that you'll do anything to live."