Chapter Sixteen

Later than usual the next morning, I dragged myself out of bed. Lukewarm water awaited me, and when I splashed it on my face, it helped drive the sleepiness away, though it did nothing for the headache that pounded behind my eyes. I checked the stitches and found the skin reddened around them. I wound a bandage around it to protect it, hoping for the best.

Dressing was torture, and I felt shaky by the time I was done. I spent several minutes seated on the edge of my bed, trying to steady myself.

I knew I had to keep up the pretense that everything was as it should be. Forcing myself to my feet, I made my way downstairs where I found the dining room empty. Once I filled a plate with food I had no intention of eating, I sank into a chair and reached for the coffee.

Barely five bites into the meal, the dining room door opened. Miles appeared, and his expression became stormy the moment he saw me. "It's about time you were up. It would have served you right if I dragged you out of your bed."

"In case you've forgotten, I was shot last night," I said, keeping my voice low. One never knew when a servant was nearby to overhear. Even speaking of the incident was a bad idea, but I had lost all patience with my friend. "I believe I am allowed to sleep in after such an occasion."

"How can you sleep knowing you have stolen the girl I intended to marry?"

My fork fell from my hand. "I beg your pardon?"

"Phoebe is insisting that she will keep her word and marry you," Miles said, drawing closer to the table. His hands were balled fists at his sides, as though he were trying to control himself. "She refused to see me this morning and sent Miss Darkin to tell me to leave her in peace."

I should have guessed. "Phoebe said she had no wish to marry me, and I have not made her an offer of marriage!"

"She has changed her mind."

That explained her attempts to make me cease speaking of living abroad. Groaning, I leaned my head back and closed my eyes. "I will not marry her."

"I will not allow you to ruin her reputation."

Lifting my head, I opened my eyes to glare at him. "Miles, pay your debt to Lamotte, find a way to corner Phoebe somewhere, and propose to her. "

Miles shook his head. "I'm of a mind not to repay Lamotte. After all, he lost the security, and I was forced to recover it myself. He should have accepted my payment earlier for he cannot force me to pay him now."

My thoughts went to Ward, who was waiting to be paid by Lamotte who in turn could not pay because he needed the payment from Miles. Could things get any more complicated? "Miles, I never imagined you would do anything so dishonorable. Go to Lamotte, tell him you have the ring, pay the man, and be done with the whole affair."

"And confess how I acquired the ring? Never! He would blackmail me for it; I am sure."

Peace and quiet were all I wanted. With desperate times calling for drastic measures, I made a swift decision. Perhaps I would regret it, but I'd had enough. "I will be engaging the cottage in France, and I will be moving there by the end of the year."

My friend's jaw dropped in shock. "Phoebe does not wish to live in France!"

"Well, as I am not marrying Phoebe, I don't see how it concerns her."

"Philly is right. Travel has changed you."

With a frustrated growl, I pushed my chair back and stood up. Moving so quickly made everything spin, and I grabbed the table to steady myself. "I wish everyone would stop blaming my journey when they believe I am disagreeable."