Chapter 8

Without being able to come up with any other reasonable excuse, I force myself to step away from Axel, with an exhausted sigh. Don't be weird. "I have a bit of a proposition for ya, Doc." Collecting my trash, I slip it into a red biohazard bag, I remove my gloves and look at him. I don't really know how to think about that.

"Is this something that I should be worried about?" I raise an eyebrow, watching as a grin covers his features, giving a carefree shrug. Axel glances over his shoulder briefly at whatever the mechanics are doing.

"No, nothing that should make you worry. I just had an offer, I figured I'd make to you. Since it doesn't seem like you are having such a fun time where you're working. I might have a solution to your issue and mine." Grabbing my bag, I stand up and wince at the aching from my sore joints. I'm feeling yesterday more than I care to admit.

"And what issues do we share?" I can't lie and say that his words aren't intriguing to me. I can't even lie and say that I'm not interested to see what kind of hair brained idea Axel has come up with. Nothing would surprise me.

"I'm a biker and you're a Doctor." I stare at him for a moment before I offer him a slow nod. Thanks for the update? I'm not sure why he's stating facts, but I'll bite and let him continue on.

"Sounds about right." Axel chuckles, running his fingers through his dark brown hair.

"Wait, are you doing what I think you're doing?" Digger asks, moving towards the recently vacated stool; Axel turns to look at him briefly.

"Oh yeah, while she's here, why the hell not? I mean, she's more certified than the piss head we've been working with." My expression pinches as I cross my arms over my chest, feeling myself get confused; on edge at this rate. I'm not sure I like where this is going; or do I?

"Hell, I agree, I don't like that idiot." Digger chuckles, turning his eyes back towards mine. My stomach drops as I look between the smiling pair; I have a feeling this is going to be interesting.

"Anyway, I wanted to know if you'd be interested in a job opening we have." He tilts his head, with a slight knowing smile on his face. And I become unnerved; what does he know about me and why the hell does he know it about me? Paranoia, take a backseat for the love of god!

"What kind of job opening?" The question that rolls off of my tongue makes me want to curse at myself; aren't I supposed to be raising hell about researching me?

"I have a fairly dangerous career and more often than not need some kind of medical attention." I nod as if I understand, just growing more confused by the second.

"And there's a hospital near here if I'm not mistaken." He gives me a cocky smile, nodding as he uses his thumb to push against his bottom lip.

"You're right. But why bother with that when we have an in house clinic; we just need a Doc who's capable to run the damn thing." I have to stop and look at him, taking a few moments to blink away my confusion.

"So you want me to find you someone to run it or what?" I'm not exactly following. Axel chuckles, shaking his head as he looks at me.

"I was wondering if you'd run it. You have the strong personality to be dealing with bikers. I think you'd be a perfect fit." Pausing, I stare at him. I guess it's a compliment to have a strong personality. He could've said worse about me, I suppose. Before I can come up with a reasonable response, I hear clicking, claws click on the concrete as the sound scurries closer to me. I furrow my brow as I turn and look at the fairly large black mass heading my way; the furry mass weaves itself between my legs, snuffling.