23: Playing with Fire.

As soon as I reached home, I finished my homework and waited for Sandra's call. She called me at sharp thirty past three.

Lenny, Sandra and I started our conference call, them asking me about what happened in the storage with Jayden.

"And that's what happen." I ended my narration, making sure not to leave any detail unmentioned. "That can't be pass off as a kiss." I mumbled, a little regretful for not grabbing the chance when I had it in my palm but also relief because who knew how awkward it would be between us if we kissed.

"That's your first kiss!" Lenny squealed.

"No, it's not." I rolled my eyes.

"Oh come on, who cares about an accidental kiss that happened when you were 14." Sandra pointed out as if it was no big deal but it was.

My first kiss was with the notorious boy in my class when I was in middle school. Calum was his name. He was as usual in his usual self bothering other students, running around in the class and just then he tripped and fell and right on me, his lips landing squarely on mine.

I couldn't even remember the times I washed my mouth and cried in the bathroom because I wanted Jayden to be my first kiss.

But later that same day, Jayden and Calum got into a fight, reason unknown to me. Calum's lips had cut in both sides due to Jayden's punches while Jayden was hit in his jaw and eye.

For some reason, I felt like the reason behind their fight was me. Jayden and I were in good terms back them, when I newly shifted in the house next to his. I continued to believed he did that for me until he had to go and call me ugly later on.

"I care." I sighed, memories of the said kiss replaying in my head. It was long time ago and I wasn't bothered by it anymore but my first kiss was a waste that I couldn't change.

"I have a gut feeling that you two will kiss soon, very soon." Sandra predicted, taking up the role of a soothsayer when not needed.

"You and your- oh wait, I am getting another call." I checked the caller id. It showed Clair's name. Perfect timing.

"I have to take this. Talk to you guys later, bye." without waiting for their responses I hung up.

The reason was partially because I wanted to avoid any further interrogation about the almost kiss and also because Clair might have something important to say or else she'd call the house phone or mum. But mum was out doing grocery shopping with Harper.

"Hello." I accepted her call.

"Hi Melody." Clair's voice sounded slightly panicky. "I need you to do something for me." She rushed her next words out.

"Yes anything." I answered automatically.

"There was a sudden change in dates of presentation. I didn't bring an important file along with me and the meeting will start in an hour, I need to arrange other things too, so I have no time to waste. Jayden is not answering or replying to my messages. You're the only one I can turn to." She was breathing heavily, her words frantic.

"Clair, calm down." I advised her calmly. She tends to ramble when nervous. "I will get the file for you, just tell me where you've kept it." I assured her.

"Oh yes, yes. The file." She blew out a breath. "Um... It's in my bedside table drawer, the last one, black file." She informed me.

"Okay, I will get the file for you as fast as I could." I promised her. Mentally pulling up my hair in a ponytail and putting on my leather boots and jackets, i was ready to go hunting.