7.3 The Language Of Flowers

Daisy means Innocence and Loyal Love. Lily means pride and purity. Delphinium means boldness. And rose means love.

He remembered hearing those words but that was a long time ago. Lang Yuan only stared at the contents of the wooden box and did not move at all. The competition has already started. The concubines are either cutting or plucking the flowers. The spectators are watching carefully taking note who are doing great. Yet, the candidate himself is still, motionless.

Now, what should he do? He only had the worst kind of flowers and continuing on this contest will only bring him a few points. Peering over the wooden box, the flowers only exhibit a gloomy sight with the faintest scent. He thought of requesting a new set, but is that even allowed? The rules did not say anything about it so maybe he can actually request for a new set,

With the determination to do the task, Lang Yuan abruptly stands up from the low table. This sudden movement made all the attention towards him. Accidentally, Lang Yuan crushed his pinky toe finger to the leg of the table causing him to jerk in pain. This lead to a more serious domino effect - stepping on his own robes, falling down unto his butt, shook the table and the porcelain jar fell. Everything happened in a split second that nobody ever made a move to stop it from happening.

Silence. Silence flooded the entire area. All the eyes are watching the clumsy Empress Candidate as he yelp in pain. Zhong Song could have spared a laugh but the piercing glare of the emperor made him stop. He cleared his throat to waken up the people. The maids hurriedly helped Lang Yuan return to his position.

That... that was embarrassing ba! And my toe hurts! Lang Yuan cried in vain.

He returned to the kneel-sitting position in front of the low table with all the shards of the broken pot. He rather looks like a bullied puppy, his eyes red ready to cry. Now, he has no chance to ask a replacement for this. All he wanted to do from now is to dig a hole and burry himself. Maybe in that way he can become a flower or something.

The time is still running. The sand time has reached for the first hour of the day. The concubines are still doing the cutting and plucking, though some are already stuffing some soil to their pots. Lang Yuan is still looking at the mess that he created, devising a plan on how to create a proper hole for his burial.

Nah, just kidding. He's actually panicking inwardly while wearing a still composed face outwardly.

What should he do? Now he has three wooden boxes of faulty flowers, one broken porcelain pot, and other objects that he thought looked like useless objects in this contest. He had known from his world that flower arrangements are done on a greenish like sponge where the flowers will be placed. In this way, clumping the flowers would be easy and making shapes will be emphasized.

He could also do it with the soil though the porcelain pot is already broken...

Broken...?

The advantage that Lang Yuan can take in this world is his modern knowledge about things. In the future, whatever broken things can be fixed, and whatever objects can be used will be recycled. The innovation is what made the humans on the modern period advance, living in a rather comfortable life than the primitive times.

Now that he thought of it, getting broken pot isn't bad at all. He saw a miniature garden before from a magazine in the library. There is this DIY tutorial on how to treat the broken pots as an alternative decoration. Remembering the simple process, Lang Yuan started working. His hand move towards the shards carefully arranging them to size and uses.

Zhong Song had thought that Lang Yuan's win in this game would be forfeited. Not only Lang Yuan knows the basic, they didn't even made him practice to do any arrangement due to the bulk of learning that he should remember. Now, he was curious to what the youth will do with the defective object that he has on his hands.