s e v e n t y - o n e

"YOUR MOTHER IS GABRIELA BANE."

"Gabriela Bane?"

"She and her brother, Gabriel, are the Betas of the Blood Moon Pack."

There... The Blood Moon Pack.

Again.

It was the same Pack that Blayze's mother was from.

"She loves you, Martyn."

"I don't know her!" His eyes blackened within a matter of seconds. "Love? She loves me? Does the love of a woman - who I don't know - matter? I don't know her!"

"It does matter."

His voice was a mere whisper.

"Then, tell me this, Michael Grant! Why do I not know a woman who loves me so? Tell me!"

Michael hesitated.

"Why?! Why did she abandon me?"

"She did not have a choice... Martyn."

I watched as he slammed his fist into the wall beside his father.

"There is always a choice!"

"It was she kill you or they kill you! So... She did not have a choice in abandoning you at the Luna Falls to die... She was told what no mother should ever be told... She was told to kill you!"

"What?"

"She was told, by her Alpha, to kill you." He averted his eyes from his son. "You were abandoned in the Falls of their territory... The Luna Falls. You were only a month old, then. When I realised what she was told by Alpha Lachowski, I retrieved you from the Falls and brought you to Gray Valley. She was told to kill you. But... I retrieved you. And you are alive."

Lachowski. Lachowski. Lachowski.

Where had I heard that name before?

I turned to Luis.

"Who is Lachowski?"

"Didn't you know, Alpha? Marcus Lachowski is the Alpha of the Blood Moon Pack and the maternal uncle of Liam."

That was where I had heard it.

Liam had mentioned that his Lachowski blood was powerful.

But... I did not know it was the blood he shared with a family of powerful Alphas.

Lachowski. Lachowski. Lachowski.

He was heartless.

I realised that Marcus Lachowski was a heartless enough for his own sister to abandon him.

And he was heartless, to command a mother to kill her own son.

It made me wonder...

Was he the same Alpha that separated Blayze from his mother?

Martyn's voice brought me out of my thoughts.

"Are you even my father?"

There was a dreadful silence.

"Yes."

He did not speak but his disbelief was evident in his eyes as he looked at his father.

"Gabriela is my Soulmate."

"And why didn't your Soulmate return to Gray Valley with you?"

"She couldn't. Because... She and her brother are twins. And Werewolves that are twins share a bond. But Gabriela... It was not only a bond for her. She couldn't be with me because they share a Wolf Form."