38

[Chapter thirty-eight]

-Nevaeh-

Monday, 5 PM

"We've been walking for five fucking hours and I haven't seen a single fucking campsite!" Noah shouts, forcefully kicking a tree before hissing in pain and grabbing his foot.

"Pebble, don't try to fight nature. You'll get your ass kicked." I retort, making him glare at me.

"Okay, so we may or may not be, kind of, a little bit...lost." Max trails of quietly, scratching the back of his neck.

"Oh, no shit!" I retort.

"Look, forget the campsite, Max." Dylan starts. "We'll just keep walking and find a reasonable place to set up camp."

"I agree with Dylan." Megan pipes up. "I'm not about to walk another five hours trying to find a campsite."

Max sighs. "Okay, we'll find some flat ground and set up our tents there."

*~*

Monday, 8 PM

"Fuck this! Fuck that! Fuck everything!" I kick one of the broken tent poles away and flop down on the shattered remains of mine and Megan's tent.

The boys' tent wasn't looking any better. Almost all the poles had been snapped in half (courtesy of Noah and his fucking Hulk strength which I never knew he had), the pegs to hold the tent down had ended up in the lake a couple feet away from us because Dylan had been trying to throw them at Noah who was having a bitch fit right next to the lake. Noah had then proceeded to turn around and try to kill Dylan, so of course, Momma Max had to step in and try to save Dylan's dumb ass.

And somehow, the actual tent itself had ended up in a tree.

Like, all the way at the top.

"We lose." Dylan groans, leaning on a tree. "A damn tent kicked our asses."

"And ours." Megan huffs, plopping down on the ground and crossing her legs.

"Guys, we need somewhere to sleep tonight." Max tells us as Noah comes over and flops down on my back.

"I don't know, the ground is feeling pretty damn good, right about now." My voice comes out muffled due to my face being buried in the remains of the tent.

"Yeah, you say that now," Max starts. "But what happens when a bear comes along in the middle of the night and tries to eat us?"

"Are you implying that a tent will save us from a bear?" Noah questions, sitting up and pulling me up with him. "Because I hate to break it to you, mate, but it won't."

Max opens his mouth to speak but Megan cuts in.

"Guys, our best option right now, is to just get in our sleeping bags and sleep on the ground." She tells us tiredly.

*~*

Monday, 9:30 PM

"Oh, for fuck's sake, move!" I bump the boys out of the way from their crouching positions around the little fire pit they had made as they took turns trying to catch the sticks on fire using the flint.