17 - Mother Dearest Part 1

A loud whistle was tooted several times as a trained passed by the travellers. The wheels squealed in protest as they spun, in great need of oil. The sound hurt the elves sensitive ears. Cash tried to put both hands over his ears before almost falling off the horse. Kraneia caught the boy before he plummeted.

On another horse, Twig saw Jai-Jai look longingly at the metal beast as it roared past them. Like the human, Twig was sick of riding a horse. She was sure her muscles would soon be permanently fussed if she didn't stretch them out soon. Twig asked several times to rest, but Sen was determined to make it to the boy's hometown by sundown. "Can't waste any more time than we already are," was all that he'd said.

Twig pouted and gripped onto her reigns tighter as the horse sped up. Her teeth rattled and nipped the tip of the tongue when the horse jumped down a slope. Sliding her tongue against the back of her teeth, she hoped that she hadn't bitten a hole. When there was no taste of blood in her mouth, Twig's shoulders unstiffened.

The open fields they galloped through were wet from recent rains and soaked anything that touched the tall grass blades. Twig was sure she'd have a puddle in her shoes after the journey. Slowing her horse a little, she moved the pendant hanging around her neck. Whispering to herself, she felt the water start to collect in her shoes. Water began to drip from the soles of her boots. Pleased with her work, the fairy sped up again.

It was after nightfall when small lights appeared on the horizon. They flickered and filled everyone with hope for a warm bed and some food in their stomachs. They'd searched the bandit's camp one last time before leaving. But, most of their food had been stale and not fit for consumption.

Hearing her stomach grumble, Twig ached for her mother's cooking. It was what she looked forward to at the end of a hard day of training. Neither of the twins knew how to cook. She'd learned the hard way when the three went on missions for the crown. Twig learned quickly to always come prepared with food. But a few days trip did not compare to a job that would take months in the shortest time frame.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Night had fallen, and as they neared the city, Twig gazed in awe of what she saw. Tall buildings covered the horizon, vines growing from their cracks. Craning her neck to look up Twig wondered if these buildings would block out the sun. A river ran through the middle of the buildings like a road, splitting the town in two. Any windows with lights flickering were high, at least two stories above their heads. Twig had never seen such well-preserved structures from the Old World. Questions filled her mind on how they were able to design and build these stone beasts. The twins were chatting excitedly with each other, pointing at whatever caught their fancy.

Despite the late hour, the town was still bustling with life. Street lamps lit up the cobblestone walkways as small elven children played, kicking a ball. Their parents were not far away, and it wasn't long before they flocked to collect their offspring. All adults keeping an eye out as the strangers slowed their gallop, coming to a stop. They all dismounted and continued their journey on foot.

Black spots started to appear on Twig's hand. She rubbed them away, but whatever it was only smudged. Looking up, she could see black snow falling from the sky.

The villagers standing on either side of the river whispered to each other. None attempted to hide who they were discussing. Fingers pointed at Jai-Jai, and all stared. Two men stopped her, one even grabbed her arm and pulled her back.

"How does it feel tae be the minority finally? After all that ye're kind has done to ours." Cruel laughter left their lips.

Rhistel lit her fist on fire and growled, "Let her go."