2. spoilt dinners & résumés

❝No, they don't speak our language.
They say we're too savage.
No, no. We don't give a—anymore.❞
- Jack & Jack, Rise.

"Took you guys long enough," Tanner said the moment Kaleb and I burst in through the door in fits of laughter.

"I blame Rae," Kaleb said in defense, "She got hungry like two times and did all she could to get her money back."

"You should have known," Tanner chuckled and I smiled proudly as Tanner continued, "Well, good thing you're back now. Dinner's almost ready," he took his seat on the high stool in the kitchen, picking up his phone which laid on the counter.

I sniffed then grinned widely, "I smell meatloaf and," I placed emphasis on the word, "Mac and cheese! Can I have mine as soon as it's ready?"

"No, you can't," Tanner didn't look up from his phone and Kaleb laughed and walked to the refrigerator to take a bottle of water out.

"Why not?" I rolled my eyes at Tanner who was too busy texting on his phone.

"Because Kendall is coming over," he looked at me as he said the words because he knew just how horrified I would be.

"Fudge, no!" I literally screamed and Kaleb laughed louder.

Kendall was Tanner's girlfriend and for reasons still unknown to me, I didn't like her one bit. Maybe it was that voice of hers. Maybe it was because I'd expected that Tanner and his girlfriend, Zee, would stay together. He and Zee had dated up till the previous year but broke up due to reasons Tanner didn't tell me. Kendall wasn't anything like Zee. To me, she was somewhat spoilt.

Tanner didn't seem fazed by the way I yelled. He simply kept texting away.

"Why would you tell her to come over, Tanner?" I walked to where he sat.

"Why not? She's my girlfriend," he looked away from his phone.

"I don't like her," I said curtly.

"You aren't the one dating her, are you?" Tanner raised an eyebrow at me, and I looked over to Kaleb who leaned on the counter, watching me and Tanner.

"In other words, get yourself a boyfriend," Kaleb said annoyingly and I rolled my eyes at him.

"Okay, all joking aside. Kendall isn't bad. I think she's friendly and hot," he smiled slyly at Tanner who glared at him, sticking his middle finger up at him.

"Then, will you stay for dinner, please?" I looked up at him.

"I would, but I'm taking Sydney out, remember?"

"Ugh, yes. I don't get it," I threw my hands in the air, "Why are you two surrounded by girls I don't like?"

"You'll be fine, Rae," he gave me a tight hug and kissed my forehead. "I have to go now. Be happy. Love you."

"Sure. Have fun," I said dryly, watching he and Tanner do a hand shake before he walked out of the house. I sighed, drooping in my seat and Tanner turned to the steaming pot on the gas cooker, opening it, "You know, it'll  mean a lot if you try being nice to Kendall."

"Well, I've tried. The last time I did, you saw what happened. I got melted chocolate in her hair. I don't like her, Tanner."

"You don't have a reason why you don't."

"It's natural," I shrugged.

"You know, she's pretty amazing."

"So was Zee," I said under my breath, but I knew he heard me because his facial expression changed and his shoulders sagged. "And I know you miss her, so I don't know what you're doing with Kendall."