CHAPTER 22 - falling

My eyes shoot open wide as I take a deep breath, my eyes traveling around looking for Eric.
"It's okay, it's okay. Your awake now"
His voice has an instant calming affect on me as I stand from the testing chair.

Execution, one of the most horrifying things imaginable. This time it wasn't a gun, it was a rope. Me standing up on a high wall taking a step closer to the edge with every jeer and taunt passed at me.
I realize how much this hits home for Eric. It worries me.
"Are you alright?" I scratch my neck as he gives me a strange look.
"What do you mean?"
"You know what I mean"
"I'll be fine"
We sit in silence for a moment, not an awkward silence.
"So I better get onto the next initiate"
"See you after dinner" I put a hand on his back to comfort him, he says he's fine but I can see in his face he's thinking about his brother.
"See you then"

I walk out of the glass room passing through the waiting area.
All my friends sit there waiting to face to unimaginable. Apart from Harry, who Tobias insisted on going first for some reason. I arrive at the dining hall and spot Harry. He looks awfully bothered about something, biting his nails without even knowing. I make my way down to sit with him
"Hey" He gives me a false smile and I sit down beside him, serving myself some nachos from the table center.
"Hi, how'd you go today?"
"Oh as awful as usual, you know" he avoids my eyes.
"What's wrong?" I let the question that's been floating around in my mind for the past few days out.
"What do you mean?"
"Don't play dumb. I know somethings going on. You've been really quiet lately. My brother walked out of dinner abruptly the other night and I have a feeling that has something to do with you going first in training instead of me. Come on Harry your meant to be my friend."
"I don't want to talk about it. It's nothing really"
"So it does have to do with my brother?" He kids in reaction to my question.
"Then I feel I have a right to know if my brothers in danger"
"Your brothers always been in danger, even before me. I've got to go Alex, I'll see you at dinner"
"Harry wait! What? In danger? Always?" Before he can answer he's gone out of the hall.

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

"So what did you want to speak to me about?" I sit across from my brother in his living room, not having said a word since I arrived.
"The other night before my attack, you told me you'd tell me about what was going on with you leaving the hall early. I want to know now"
"Alex it wasn't important, I was just having a bad day" I know he's lying, Harry had made that much clear.
"Does it involve Harry?" I ignore his words and ask the question of the evening.
"What has he told you?"
"Not much, but your going to change that if you ever want me to trust you again"
"Okay okay, but Alex you have to promise to not freak out. You can't tell a soul."
"Tobias- I mean Four when have I ever told anyone anything"
"You told Eric about Marcus. I swear to god if you tell Eric about this your friend and brother will end up at the bottom of the chasm." My heart sinks at his words.
"I swear" it comes out barely a raspy whisper.
"Harry is divergent" My eyes widen.

Divergent, the mythical legend you here stories about when your a kid in school. I never thought they were real. They have multiple aptitudes and are said to be dangerous to society.
"And you? Why are you in trouble if Harry's divergent?" I whisper the words as if it's poisonous to my lips.
"I am too" I stand up and begin to back away, not taking my eyes off of Tobias. I shake my head and eventually bang into the door.
"Alexa, the stories you've heard about divergents, they're not true. We aren't dangerous, we aren't. I know your shocked and it's hard to believe but please keep quiet about this, I don't want to end up at the bottom of the chasm."
"I, I can't deal with this right now" I open the door.
"Where are you going?" The fear in his voice is blocked out by the thoughts in my head.
'Your brothers a monster'
'He's dangerous'
'He's an animal'
"I have plans with Eric"
"Alex no!" With that I slam the door in his face, quickly walking away from his apartment.

Why would Eric be dangerous to him? He's the dangerous one. I've heard the stories about Eric being a divergent hunter, but believed they were nothing more than fables spun by bored Dauntless teenagers. Only minutes ago I found out divergents are real.
I arrive at the training room to see Eric in the middle of the room. He sends me a warm smile when he sees me. A genuine smile. That's not the smile of a killer.
"Hey do you maybe want to skip training tonight and go on another train ride? I could use the break" his words mimic my current feeling.
"Actually that would be amazing"

He walks out to meet me in the hallway and we begin to make our way to the tracks.
I keep stealing glances at him as I walk, confusion fills my every step.
We arrive at the train and I'm the first to throw myself inside. Eric's flies in after me and we both sit across from each other on the Mets ground.

"Something on your mind?" My deep sadness must play on my face.
"No it's just I've heard stories, about you." I can't find it in myself to look at him while I speak.
"What do you mean 'stories' ?"
"I heard some dauntless kids talking about how your a divergent hunter, and how you dispose of them" my voice is nothing more than a whisper.
"Divergents aren't even real, come on"
"Don't take me for an idiot Eric, is it true?" He sighs.
"Divergents are real, okay? And yeah Jeanine asks me to keep an eye out for them. I do but I have never done anything to harm them. I don't even turn them in, I leave it to some one else to figure it out, which they usually don't." His words register in my head and I feel the weight lift off my shoulders.

"Are Divergents dangerous?" I ask and Eric purses his lips.
"That's a tough one. I mean Divergents themselves aren't dangerous in my opinion. It's the umbrella term for anyone who is different. It's mainly the name that gets them killed. What's brought all this on?" My stomach twists at the word 'killed' I'm angry with my brother but I don't want him dead.
"Nothing, just what they said."
"Alex, is there something you want to tell me?"
"I'm not divergent if that's what your asking"
"It wouldn't change anything" I finally look up from the spot on the ground at this point and into his eyes. His ice blue pupils look warmly at me.

"You know Eric, there is something I want to tell you"
"And that is?"
"I think I'm falling for you" at this point it's where I imagined I would look away, but I just stare deeper into his soul, trying to read his reaction.
I see him slowly lean across the train car. His hand lifts up and cups my cheek, his fingers lightly caress my face.
I lean my face up slowly to his, us now being mere inches apart. I press my lips to his and a warm fuzzy feeling fills my body and pumps through my veins, his lips are so soft. I put my arms around his neck to deepen the kiss.

After a few short minutes we pull away resting our foreheads together.
"I think I'm falling for you too"