Chapter 18 - Saved

XIMENA

Clarissa's unfortunate love past made it difficult for her to open her heart once more. She was torn between the advice of her unsteady mind and her heart. She knew Jack was worth giving it a shot, but will he stay when he finds out what ails her? Will he understand why on some days she doesn't feel like coming out of her bed? He was different to every man she'd ever met; patient, kind and a good listener. Whenever they talked, his words seemed to reach her soul and heal her. Every time she found herself in his arms, the world stopped and his laughter made her feel as if everything would be alright.

Jaden's past is heartbreaking, mostly to him, but you could see Charlie and Jessica are still affected by the memories. On my walk back, I had trouble containing my emotions and stared at the sea crashing against the rocks, hoping the soothing sounds would calm me, but if anything, they made me angrier. I can only conclude from what Jaden said and Charlie's details that that man, Caleb, is still around and has never been punished for what he did. He deserves to rot in jail. 

After I came home, I could only write a few more paragraphs and then took a hot shower to relax the sore muscles, a result of walking in the cold wind and the tension I built up while listening to Charlie. Afterwards, I tried to channel some of the negative energy into something productive and wrote for a few hours more.

The doorbell rings and I look out the window to see if I recognize a car but no one is parked in the driveway or in the spots nearby. Sunday is a quiet day around here and the few visitors left don't come to the pier until early in the evening. I close my laptop, leave it on the armchair and drag myself downstairs. As I open the door, I can't believe my eyes about who stands outside... Damian.

He gives me a charming smile and my knees weaken at his sight. He's still every bit handsome as the day we met.

"Surprise," he says as he tries to come inside, but I stand in the doorway to block him.

"What are you doing here? How did you find me?" 

"Not even a hello. Can I at least get a kiss? I drove all the way to this shit hole of a town. I deserve a better greeting," he says, getting so close I feel his breath on my face.

"What do you want, Damian?"

I try to keep a strong attitude, but my voice weakens. This unexpected visit is making me nervous and can't mean anything good.

"I wanted to see you. It's been a long time since you left Greenwood and I miss you. Are you okay?" He caresses my cheek and looks at me in a loving way.

"I'm okay. How did you find me?"

"Well, since I had the phone number of Professor Gregory Walker it was easy to get an address."

Chills run down my spine at the strange way he says Greg's name.

"Well, you found me and I'm well. Now you can leave."

"I'm not leaving until we have a good talk. Do I need to remind you how good we were together?" He gets too close and holds my arms hard.

"Get your fucking hands off me!" I shake myself out of his grip.

"Just a kiss... To remember the good times," he gets closer to my lips as I try to push him away.

"No! Stop! You want a kiss? Then go back to that woman! You were definitely having a good time with her then!"

"Seems I need to show you what you are missing..."

He pushes me hard enough that I take a few steps back into the hallway. Then grabs my blouse, making the top two buttons pop out. Suddenly, he turns back and yelps while covering his face. That's when I see Brian shaking his hand from the pain. My heart races and I'm frozen to my spot, shaking all over.