7. The preparations

THE PREPARATIONS

His words made warmth bloom in my heart, bringing back to life a part of me that had died the moment I'd read the prophecy

His words made warmth bloom in my heart, bringing back to life a part of me that had died the moment I'd read the prophecy. And for a moment, for the instants his words still rang in my soul, I felt whole. Not broken, not cold, not alone.

I was crying, tears drenching my skin, trailing down my face, my chin, my neck. Leon gently brushed them away, his touch, even if light, enough to set my skin on my fire wherever his fingers trailed.

"I, "I began, placing my hands on his chest, feeling how hard his heart beat underneath my palms, "thought you said you had no lady in mind."

He smiled, even if something in it was painful. "I said,'' he drawled, a tinge of easiness in it-that light amusement that never faded when he spoke to me.
"That I had no interest in the women my aunt has in mind. I never mentioned anything about caring for a certain royal lady I first met in the woods."

"I still wonder how you could stare at me, covered in blood and gore, without puking,'' I whispered as I smiled at the memory of that day almost half a year ago.

"How could I?'' He mirrored my smile. "You were the most beautiful person I'd seen my entire life."

"Even with blood on me and disheveled hair?"

"Even with blood and severely disheveled hair."

I punched him in the chest lightly even as I couldn't stop my lips from curling upward even more.

I had crushes back when I still lived in the other world. Had liked some boys even as I kept them secrets locked in my heart, never once being in a relation. But Leon...What I felt for him, what had been growing in my heart for months now, it was different. Even when I was oblivious to those feelings at first, and even when they started emerging and I tried pushing them down, deep into that abyss, I knew Leon was different.

He'd seen me at my worse, lost and clueless and broken, but he stayed. All of my family did. Maybe the Gods didn't loath me that much, giving me such people to care for and love.

Leon's eyes were so intent as he stared at me, almost seeing through my soul. And I wondered if it was a blessing or a curse, knowing all of this now that death seemed to be roaming so close. But I said, maybe afraid to never have the chance to do so again, "I love you, Leon."

I swore I saw stars and light in his eyes as I whispered those words. And then that smile that made me melt to nothing and yet made me feel like I owned the world.

My heart burned as I felt him gently tugging my face toward him, his lips so close it would have been a second and no more before I would have felt their softness on mine.

But I pulled away.

I watched him stiffen as I did, and hated myself for this. But I'd felt a presence around us, coming closer and closer, searching for me.