17 | waves

"So the last thing that you remember is you and Em fighting," Eleanor confirms later that afternoon as Kira finishes telling Eleanor fragments of memories that she's starting to remember.

Kira nods her head, her mind going elsewhere. She's thinking about sneaking out once again in the middle of the night, Jax's words ringing inside her head.

You can just escape for a little while.

It might help with your memory.

She's dying to know what exactly happened. Wants to know the whole truth, wants her memory back, wants Emiline back.

"Where did you last see her?" Eleanor asks her, tapping her fingers on top of her phone resting on the table.

The television plays a scene where someone just found out that she's going to die and so she decides that she'd make the best out of it. That's all that Kira can understand on the show flashing on the screen, her mind half outside of her body, half intact, just enough to still feel Eleanor's gaze at her.

"I don't know. I think it's this town away from here," she finally answers after a round of complete silence, "I've been there once after I was out of the hospital."

"You never told me that," Eleanor says feign hurt, "Okay, so is this the one you've been going to every week before?"

Kira nods. She remembers that much, unfortunately, she doesn't remember a thing about that town. It sucks.

"You know what?" Eleanor says, her face lighting up in excitement.

"What?"

"I think we should go to that place," Eleanor says, "Maybe it will spark a memory, don't you think?"

That's exactly what I was thinking, Kira thought to herself, and hearing Eleanor pitch in that idea made her problem about getting there go away. At least she'd have Eleanor as an excuse to go there.

"When?" she immediately asks which made Eleanor laugh.

"You're that excited," Eleanor teases, "How about tomorrow? You still know how to go there right? Or did you forget about it?"

"Fortunately, my memory didn't suppress that memory," Kira says now genuinely smiling. She's too thankful for Eleanor's presence right now.

"Are there any guys there?" Eleanor asks her nudging her elbows.

"Seriously El?" Kira laughs throwing a pillow at her friend.

🔍

Jax is wearing a plain red shirt and jeans when Kira spots him entering the cafe. There's something inside Kira that makes her heart beat excitedly at the sight of Jax.

As crazy as it sounds, part of the reason why she also wants to go here is because she wants to see him.

"Hey," Jax greets them taking a seat across from her and Eleanor on the table.

Eleanor nudges Kira on the sides as she extends her hands toward Jax, "Hey, I'm Eleanor. So you're the Jax that asked for Kira's number weeks ago, right?"

"Oh, well yeah," Jax answers politely, and then smiling back at Kira.

"Have you heard from Emiline yet?" Kira asks to which Jax chuckles a bit awkwardly shaking his head.

"He also knows Emiline?" Eleanor asks looking at both of them.

"Yeah," Jax answers looking around the place, "I met her a few months back."