Chapter Five

Chapter Five

The next morning, I am a few minutes late to work because I am still feeling a little groggy from the events of yesterday. Rubbing my eyes, I swipe into the lab we are working in. Four heads whip up in surprised and I just give them a confused look as I put my things down. I didn't die from a little caffeine, there is no reason to look that surprised.

"Aviva, I am so sorry! I know you said decaf, but I wasn't even paying attention. How are you feeling? Are you okay?" Jayden rushes out stepping closer to me.

"I'm fine Jayden; I'm just a little groggy from everything. Now we have a lot of work to do to keep on schedule. What did you guys accomplish yesterday?" I ask

The team fills me in on what they did but it wasn't nearly enough. We were now half a day behind schedule. I bust their asses all day and they even stay a little later so that we can try to catch up. They all roll out around six o'clock and I clean up everything before heading out.

"Aviva, how are you feeling today?" Alexanders asks me as I wait for the elevator. My mind is hazy of yesterday's events, but I become acutely aware of the fact that he made sure I got into my apartment.

"I am doing much better today," I say giving him a small smile.

"I am glad to hear that," Alexander says giving me a genuine smile.

"Yeah unfortunately we are now behind but I'm sure we can make it up in no time," I say with a dismissive wave.

"Some teams don't even finish their projects, Aviva, so please don't stress too much on it," he says.

"Nonsense, we will finish our project and we will do it in a timely manner," I say with a smile and a wave goodbye.

Weeks pass and we make a lot of progress and by the end of the first five weeks, we have a working prototype. After a few uses it, unfortunately, falls apart, but we were making progress, nonetheless. I had gotten into the habit of coming in an hour early and staying an hour later in order to continue our team's progress. It feels wrong to just leave when the clock struck five. I understand why Camila has to leave; she has three younger siblings at home to take care of. The others I didn't get a reason from and I don't care to hear one.

One day towards the end of July I decide to stay a little later than normal to finish fixing the wiring for our project. It has been temperamental all week. We only have three days left and I want to make sure everything is perfect. I am just finishing up and cleaning up the soldering equipment when the door to the lab opens up.

"Hey Alexander," I say not even bothering to look over my shoulder. It isn't uncommon for him to come and check on me later in the day just to make sure I don't need anything.

Hands brush my hips and I jump back in surprise and smash my side into the table next to me. I spin around in disgust and see an unfamiliar older man in front of me. He is probably in his early thirties and his blonde hair is starting to bald at the top. He gives me a sweet smile.

"Sorry to startle you, love," he says, and my face contorts into a scowl. Who is this man?

"What l are you doing in this lab?" I snap at him. I wish I could step backward but I am already practically on top of the lab.

"I've been watching you all summer and I just wanted to come and say hello, such a dedicated woman as yourself shouldn't be alone all the time. Why don't you tell me your name?" He purrs out and my lip curls into a sneer of disgust.