Chapter Six

Chapter Six

April is quickly coming to a close and I am still in the process of trying to find another internship for the summer. I currently have two offers from two smaller engineering companies, but I am still holding out to hear back from a newer technology company called Voyager Industries. They've only been established since September, but they are on track to be one of the biggest technology companies in the nation. They are right below Caspian Technology in terms of quality of output, but they are making their name for some of their work ethics. Every invention that has been put out by the company oftentimes has the last name of the creator.

As I walk into my building, I make a b-line for the mailboxes and open my apartment's mail slot. I am severely disappointed when I just find junk mail and nothing from Voyager. My shoulders sag slightly as I resign myself to another twenty-four hours of waiting. Walking over to the elevators I press the button and wait for it to come while I check my notifications. My eyes widen when it buzzes and there is an email that just came through from none other than Voyager. Opening it quickly it reads,

'Dear Miss Arlington, we have reviewed your application and are interested in your work. We would like a professional letter of recommendation before setting up an interview. Please have someone send this as quickly as possible so we can continue the interview process,'

"Letter of recommendation?" I muse out loud as I walk into my apartment.

I head up into my apartment trying to figure out who I could ask to write me this letter. By professional letter it probably means from a previous employer, I wonder who I could ask.

"Alexander!" I say pulling the business card out of my phone. I had forgotten this was even there.

"Alexander who?" My dad asks walking out of the kitchen.

"Alexander Caspian; I need a letter of recommendation for this job I am applying for and it dawned on me that maybe he could do it," I say.

"Isn't the asshole that made you leave your job?" My dad asks confused.

"No, it's his brother who helped me not get fired or quit," I say.

"Well dinner is ready," my dad says, and I trail behind him into the kitchen.

"How was class?"

"Good, I received a ninety-four on my last two exams," I say with a proud smile.

"How goes the extracurricular studying that you insist upon?" He asks me amused.

"Well I got through the chapters I needed to last week, but I haven't even had a chance to start this week's work."

"Well don't push yourself too hard," my dad says but we both know I will.

After dinner, I sit in my room with the business card in my hand and my phone in the other. What if he doesn't even remember who I am? What if he is too busy to write me a letter? What will I do then? With a sigh, I dial the number and it rings four times. I almost hang up when I hear a male voice answer the phone.

"Alexander Caspian," his familiar voice says.

"Hi Alexander, I don't know if you remember me but it's Aviva Arlington," I say.

"Aviva Arlington, I haven't heard from you in forever. How have you been?" I can practically hear his smile over the phone.

"I've been doing pretty well. I actually called you to ask you for a very small favor," I say.