11: First Dates

I tucked away the last of my clothing in the dresser and closet respectively and began to remove the extra rounds from the dufflel bag and opened the nightstand, intending to place them inside the top drawer when the sight of Yuki's face stopped me cold and drained the energy from my body.

            I closed my eyes for a moment and struggled to take a breath as it suddenly felt like my ribs were being crushed by steel bands. I began to put the rounds away, deliberately avoiding the smiling picture of Yuki and I-the last thing I needed to do was start crying. Crying would do nothing and bring me no closer to the frost giant. But training so I could get past the first trial? That would get me a lot closer.

So I stripped out of clothing I was wearing and switched into sports bra along with a pair of sports leggings. My typical workout gear. I gathered up my hair then and reached for a hair tie around my wrist that wasn't there. I cursed myself for forgetting something so simple back on Earth and let my hair fall. I felt the strands swish across the middle of my back and I dimly realized I'd probably need a haircut while I was here.

            I didn't spare the matter much more thought however and strode towards the door, sense of purpose rippling through me. I had no idea just where all of these facilities were but I figured it wouldn't take me too long to either find one, or find someone to point me in the right direction.

            I opened the door that thought leaving me even surer in my task but that assurance faltered as I prepared to step out into the hallway and was stopped short. Thor was outside my doorway.

            "Miss Hamada," he greeted polity, crossing his muscular arms which were now visible as he'd changed from his suit into a grey t-shirt and jeans.

            "Call me Suzume," I said, leaning against the door frame and blowing my errant hair from my eyes. This was why I carried a hair tie and once again, I cursed myself for forgetting them on Earth. "Can I help you? Did you need more information about what happened on Earth?"

            "No," he said quickly, eyes darkening to storm grey as I brought up the Trickster. The change took me aback a little and I blinked several times, trying to see if it was a trick of the light or a result of his wardrobe change.

            "Um," I muttered, heart fluttering when the color didn't shift back. "Your eyes...?"

            "Oh sorry," Thor blinked several times and forced a grin. "That happens sometimes when I get...well when I'm feeling a rather unpleasant emotion."

            "Sounds annoying," I remarked. "Never being able to hide what you're feeling."

            "It is annoying," Thor agreed with a shrug. "But it does keep me honest."

            "So if you're not here for information," I said, still a bit shaken up at the change in his eyes. "What's going on?"

            Thor smiled at me and I noticed it wasn't nearly as self-assured as it had been earlier in the rec room this morning. "Well," he shifted his feet a little and I saw his still dark grey eyes flicker towards the carpet. "I did state earlier this morning that I would be taking time now to spend time with you and the rest of the candidates now that you're all here."

            "And today's my day?" I guessed as I recalled his plan. One day with each of us, each week with a little swapping to accommodate the size of the group.

"I know it might seem a bit sudden," he said, lips twitching into an awkward smile. "But I don't think I made the greatest impression last night and I wanted a chance to fix that."