One

♡♡♡

"Ellie Cartwright, do you have the answer?"

Maths is my least favourite subject. I'm not aware that I've started to daydream until I look up at notice Mr Anderson, one hand on his hip, his eyebrow raised. He is the worst teacher in the school, notorious for humiliating students. I'm often picked on by him, probably because I live by my strict rule not to raise my hand in class.

Stacey leans over in her seat so that two legs of the chair are off the floor. She pretends to pick something up from the ground. Her blonde hair fanned in front of her face as she looks at me and mouths, "359."

She is my saviour. Mr Anderson hasn't even realised what she's doing. "359, sir," I say, proudly.

The expression Mr Anderson gives me is one like no other. He seems annoyed that I actually got it right. Like he takes pride in making students squirm.

I can hear Carmen laughing softly, trying to suppress it. She's always getting detentions for talking in class. I'm surprised that she hasn't yet.

I look over at Stacey and smile. I owe her one.

When Mr Anderson turns back to the board, I breathe a sigh of relief. Sometimes he would ask you how you worked out the answer. Luckily for me, today is not that type of day.

"So, what are you doing Saturday? I'm so glad it's the final week of school, summer couldn't have gotten here sooner," Stacey whispers, still keeping her attention on the board.

She places a pencil behind her ear while tying her long blonde hair into a high pony. She watches me from the corner of her eye, somehow still paying attention and writing notes at the same time.

"Dad wants me to go with Noah to do some job for The Skulls. Something about dropping off a bunch of 'important cargo'. They didn't have anyone else fo the job," I roll my eyes, huffing.

What The Skulls do is highly secretive. You have to be an actual member to know everything. You have to pledge your alliance in some weird ceremony that is held each month for new members. I am not one of those people. Despite being apart of their family, I'm still an outsider.

"Fun," Stacey deadpans, placing her hand under her chin.

"Where exactly will this 'important cargo' be dropped off?" a voice interrupts.

I hadn't paid any attention to the boy sitting next to me. Stacey cocks an eyebrow, leaning over my desk to look at Ridge Haswell.

"Sorry, I don't remember this conversation involving you," she says, scoffing.

Stacey is everything I'm not. Smart, confident, stunning. I don't know how she can ever talk to someone like that without feeling extremely embarrassed. But then again, Ridge Haswell isn't just anybody to Stacey. As her ex-boyfriend, no doubt it is easier for her to talk to him like that.

He grins, showing off his perfectly white teeth. They're likely paid for with the extensive amount of money The Razors make. With the illegal money they make. It's obvious to most people what kind of 'drop-offs'  they make for their clients.

He flicks his brown hair out of his eyes, blinking. He's unfazed by Stacey. He knows all about her smart comebacks. "Nice to see you too, Stacey."

They broke up six months ago. Stacey had said that Ridge was too obsessed with his stupid gang and he had called her a stupid bitch. End of a two-year relationship. I had hardly spoken to Ridge when they were going out. Stacey understood why. I can't be associated with anyone from The Razors, even when my best friend was dating one. So whenever they hung out, I couldn't.

"Mind your own business, Haswell. We aren't talking to you."

"Oh, but Stacey, I wasn't asking you. Besides, I believe it is my business when The Skulls are presumably going to be working in our territory," he leans in, whispering close to my ear.

"It's bad enough that you go to school here, Cartwright. You can't have everything you want." He leans back in his chair, placing his hands behind his head.

"So, tell me, Ellie, will this job be in our territory?"

"No," I lie.

For weeks now we have secretly entered their territory for more than just high school. The Skulls have found more work in Wayhill than Meterpoint, so they decided to risk everything by sneaking in. Years ago, The Skulls and The Razors had come together to form what you would call a treaty, I suppose. There is a set of rules that we all have to live by, one includes territories.

You don't enter anyone else's town for work. That is perceived as job-stealing. The highest means of betrayal. I'm not about to ruin everything by telling Ridge the truth.

"You better not be lying, Ellie," Ridge says, stoic.

"Shut up, Ridge, or I'll tell everyone just how tiny your d—"

"Fuck off, Stacey. Sometimes I wonder what I ever saw in you," he scoffs, shaking his head.

"Likewise," Stacey laughs, quickly covering her mouth so that Mr Anderson doesn't turn around. I notice Carmen out of the corner of my eye, glaring at Ridge like she's willing him to disappear.

"All I'm saying, Ellie, is if you're lying to me, you better watch yourself. The Razors know what you've been up to."

"Making threats now are we?" I snap, slightly surprised by the anger in my voice.

He smirks. "You bet I am."

His warning tone worries me, setting me on edge. What if The Razors really do know what The Skulls had been up to all along? What if they're just waiting to attack?

The bell rings, finally, and I quickly grab my books, getting up from my desk.

Ridge grabs my arm before I can do anything, and I glare back at him. His fingers dig in just enough to put pressure on my arm, but not enough to draw blood. He isn't trying to hurt me, just warn me.

"I wouldn't go with your brother this weekend," he whispers, leaning in close.

"Why not?" I spit. I don't need to be threatened by him. I'm used to people telling me what and where to go already. Every morning I have something taped to my locker by some Razor member.

We are almost the same height, except for the two inches or so he has on me. His brown eyes harden, but his grip on my arm loosens. He steps back, picking up his books, watching me out of the corner of his eye. They soften slightly, and I frown.

He seems to contemplate whether to tell me something or not, but he must change his mind. He sighs, turning away from me. "Just... don't," he finishes, stalking from the classroom and throwing Stacey once last, lingering glance.

"Are you all right, El?" Carmen asks, rubbing my arm. She brushes her black hair behind her ear, looking worried. I can still feel Ridge's hand on my skin, like an imprint.

I smile weakly at Carmen, nodding. "Yeah, that was nothing. Really, I'm fine."

They both offer me sympathetic smiles, and I can tell they don't believe me. They are my best friends after all.

"God, he's such an asshole. I literally hate him so much. Did I ever tell you the time he said I was spoilt? He literally just..."

Stacey continues talking but I can't hear anything anymore. Ridge's warning continues to play around my head for the rest of the day, like a siren. Despite his warning, I suppress it, knowing all too well just how much The Razors want to scare me.

And that is all it can be.