Chapter CXLIII

"They want to do what?" I screeched at Jake. "You actually agreed to let them take her? What is wrong with you? She doesn't want to be there!"

"I didn't agree to let them take her, Annie. I told them that I would have to talk to our family about it," he countered.

"Oh, well that's just as bad," I snapped. "She came here because she didn't feel like she was being protected the way that she should have been!" Was he insane? I was going to have to dissect his brain and make sure that it was formed how it should be. Because only someone with a misshaped brain would think that we could ever agree to this.

"Annie, you're the one who is always saying that she needs to be with her vampire family. She needs to know that side of herself," he said. He was seriously going to throw my words back at me?

"I know what I said! I just don't think you realize what you are agreeing to," I said, the anger slowly draining out of me. At least Jake cared about our niece enough to say that he needed to think about it.

"Edward and Bella don't even know where they're planning on going, babe," he tried now.

"He is a fucking mind reader, Jake. What are they going to do? Sing songs whenever he's around? It's going to slip and he's going to find out. And then Bella and Edward are going to come and take their daughter. Nothing Nessie does will ever be okay to them after this. She defied them, Jake," I explained. "She won't be able to fight them."

"I didn't agree to anything," he repeated. I snuggled into his side and rested my head on his chest. "I knew that you would want to talk to them. And it's not like they're taking her now. They're waiting until after the Volturi come. This is a good chance for her."

"Or a chance for her to be taken again," I replied. "I'm just trying to protect her, Jake. She didn't ask to be this way. She isn't vampire, she isn't human. She's a hybrid that lives with wolves, Jake. She doesn't belong anywhere."

"We're human... Sometimes," he countered. I smiled. "And they're vampires. So maybe the solution isn't letting her live with them. But to give her somewhere that she belongs. Rosalie and Emmet are willing to take her, to raise her and teach her about being a vampire. Whether we like it or not, she still thirsts, Annie. We suppress her urges by giving her human food but the thirst is still there. She needs to learn how to control it and none of us here can teach that to her." He was right, no matter how much I hated it. But I couldn't risk giving Nessie over to her aunt and uncle and Edward and Bella finding out. We had to be sure that she would be protected.

"What about a divorce kind of set up?" I asked. Jake's hand rubbed over my arm like it was supposed to give me comfort. But I didn't need comfort. I needed a way to give my niece exactly what she needed while keeping her safe.

"What do you mean?"

"Rosalie and Emmet can take her for every other holiday and every weekend. They have to stay either in Olympia or Seattle at a house that we can bring her to,"I explained.

"And how exactly are you planning on keeping this from Edward and Bella?" he asked then.

"They have to go hunting at some point. Rosalie likes the city enough. If they start making this some kind of habit, then Edward and Bella will never suspect a thing." He nodded, mulling over my words like he was trying to find a fault. "The second that we see either of them there, the deal is off and we take Nessie back."

"I have to think about it, Annie," he said. I frowned. Didn't he trust me? My idea made perfect sense. And it made sure that Nessie was safe. "Babe, I want to keep her safe too. I really do care about the little spawn. She's a part of our family. I'm Alpha; my job is to protect my family." I hated when he destroyed all my plans with logic. "Come on."

His warm hand wrapped around mine and pulled me up off the couch. "Where are we going?" I demanded. He laughed and pulled me closer to his side. I think he really enjoyed torturing me. "Jake where are we going?"

"Hey Nessie," he said instead. "There's some ice cream in the house. Charlie will be there to take you home in just a little bit."

"And we have to talk!" I shouted, trying to turn as she walked passed me. Jake waved her on. I was almost backwards, trying to talk to her. "Nessie! I'm not kidding Ness; we have to talk about what -"

Jake's arm around my waist heaved me from his side so that I was standing in front of him instead. "You will have a chance to talk to her," he said, "but first we have to go gather wood for the bonfire."

I frowned. "Why don't you just have some of the guys do it?" Jake was normally against me doing physical labor. I decided to blame it on the imprint. He knew that I was more than capable of doing things on my own.

"I thought you and I might like some time to walk on the beach without any of the guys around," he replied. "Besides, you love the beach." He had me there. With a hand wrapped tight around mine, I followed him down the well worn path. He was humming Pure Imagination, swaying just barely as we walked. He laughed out of the blue and looked dow at me with amusement.

"What? I didn't do anything," I said.

"Nothing; nothing; I was just remembering a girl that used to hate public displays of affection," he whispered.

"I still do!" He laughed again. "I do; I hate it. We don't need to be all nasty." He tugged on my arm and sent me tripping into his chest. His large hand cupped the back of my head and forced my lips against his. Okay, forced was the wrong word because I was more than willing to kiss him. His hands crawled up my sides until his hands were just underneath my armpits. He pulled me up so that I was hanging in his grip. He smiled into my mouth when my legs wound their way around his waist. I braced my hands on his shoulders and used my leverage to kiss him deeper than I had been.

"You know what's going to suck?" he said against my lips. I hummed because I was still too distracted to say a real sentence. "When we go back to school and we can't do this all day." I groaned and pulled away from him. "What? What'd I say?"

"Do you have to ruin my happy moments?" I asked. Kissing Jake was like disappearing into a world where there was no drama... Just him and me and the heat that surged through me with a vengeance. "I had almost forgotten that we had to go to school again."

"So I just need to kiss you every time I want you to forget something?" he said, laughed in her voice.

"No! It doesn't work like that," I protested. It definitely worked that way. It was like his lips were a drug that caused amnesia. But he didn't need to know that. If he did, there was a chance that he would never let me worry about anything again.

The arm that had been snaked around my waist and palming my head grasped me tightly and in a motion that I couldn't quite explain, He had me on his back, his hands wrapped around my tights to keep me up. "We need to get some driftwood. Can't very well do that with you distracting me the whole time," he whispered.

I pressed my lips against the soft skin of the side of his neck, feeling him shiver and the goosebumps form underneath my lips. "There's some pieces over there," I said, keeping one hand wrapped around his neck and using the other to point out the things that we actually needed. "Do you actually think it would be a good idea for Renesmee to go and spend more time with Emmet and Rosalie?"

He shrugged and hopped me up higher onto his back. "They've always wanted kids, right?" I nodded. "Nessie needs to learn about being a vampire from real vampires. It would be good for her, good for them, and good for us."

"How would it be good for us?" I asked.

"If we were to let Nessie go with them like they want, Bella might leave us alone."

"Doubtful."

"Doubtful, but still an option, Annie," he said. I sighed and readjusted my position so that my chin was resting on his shoulder. "We haven't even talked to Nessie yet. No decisions until we know what she thinks."

"I think it might be time for us to take another vacation," I muttered.

I know that we're kind of dragging out the whole thing, but bonfire's up next. Love and thanks!