Chapter CXLVII: Jacob's Point of View

I think my least favorite part of school was math. The schedule this semester had placed me and Annie in all the same classes, but not on the same sides of the class. The school's new policy was that students be placed in alphabetical order. And here's a fun fact: S and B are not close to each other in the alphabet. So I was usually sitting in the left front part of class and Annie was in the back somewhere on the right side. For the majority of our day, she was out of reach.

But lunch was the time of blessed fucking reunion. She would walk out of the classroom to go to the restroom, every single day at the end of fourth period. And like clockwork, she and the rest of the imprints would magically appear in the hallway again. Was it wrong that we were all a little worried about what was getting said about us in that tile room? Regardless, each girl would grab her respective wolf. Being large and and broad, we Warriors would sit and save the tables while the girls walked away with our wallets to get food. It was Embry who had something to say about that. "Does anyone else feel like this is what the rest of our lives are going to be like?"

We all turned our attention to the girls who were thumbing their way through whatever cash we had in our wallets. I laughed and ended up groaning with the rest of our guys. But then a smile crept up Annie's face and I realized that it was all worth it. As long as I got to see that smile every day for the rest of my life, it would be all worth it. The empty-headed look on the rest of the imprinted guys said that they were all thinking the same thing. Charlie was the first to turn back to make her way to the table., followed by Annie, who was walking in a line beside Penn and Kim.

A new football player, one of the new guys from the Makah reservation appeared behind them, hungrily licking his lips like the girls were his meal and not his classmates. I watched with nothing but disgust as his hand came down hard upon Charlie's backside. She let out a shocked gasp and turned on him, but she was too late. Annie threw the twenty dollars worth of cafeteria food on her tray to the ground. Everything that happened would have been in the blink of a human eye. But I saw the indignation flare in my imprints eyes as she turned and grabbed the guy's hand. He had no way of knowing what she was capable of. While Paul was trying not to kill the guy, Annie's hand had found the sensitive pressure point in the webbing between his thumb and his forefinger.

The entire school turned to watch her as she yanked the guy, who was at least a hundred pounds heavier than her, closer and flipped him around until his elbow protruded from his back like a distorted. Paul, Embry, Jared, and I were already on our feet and moving through the crowd. "You touch my friends again," Annie whispered in his ear, "I'll castrate you." She shoved him roughly against his jock friends. You could tell they were caught between their desire to defend their friend and their morals.

I didn't give them a real chance to consider to hitting my girl, now matter how much she was used to it. I strode to her side, noticing that Paul had already whisked Charlie out of sight. Embry and Penn weren't far behind. But meek little Kim and Jared were standing behind us, both jaws set in a straight line. "We got a problem here?" I asked in a nice enough tone.

"What do you feed her?" one of the guys said, jabbing a finger at Annie. Her adrenaline was already pumping, the anger swirling in her chest. I wrapped an arm around her waist before she could do any real damage.

"Screws," I replied. I started dragging her backwards, but the Makah kid had already turned around, shaking his arm like he could get rid of the pain.

"Good thing your ogre's here," he said. I didn't have a chance to frame a response. Annie was clawing at my hand a little.

"The entire school just saw you get beaten by a girl. It's a good thing he was here to save you," she spat. I just kind of laughed to myself as I marched her back to the table. Jared did the same, keeping his hand wrapped around Kim's. "Just had to stop me, didn't you?" she snarled as I sat her down. I just smiled and sat down next to her. My stomach rumbled almost immediately after I took my place. "Shit, I dropped your food," she said, rising like she was going to get another tray. I pushed her back down with a gentle press on her shoulder.

"We'll eat after school," I promised her. We would be done in another hour anyways. "You'll just have to make it up to me a little later," I smiled, wiggling my eyebrows. She reached across the table and grabbed a ketchup dipped fry from Kim's tray. She smeared the red stuff over my face before shoving the deep fried potato in my mouth.

"There's your lunch," she said with a contrite smile. I just laughed at her and leaned down to smear the ketchup across her cheek. She squealed and giggled and pulled away, but I didn't let her go. "Ass," she said when I finally released her. But she was still smiling at me and rolling her eyes.

Fifth period was the slowest fifty-two minutes of my lifetime. We were sitting there, looking at each other from across the room. She had a secret, roguish smile on her face, managing to tease me all through Spanish. I leaned down and texted her, telling her that she needed to knock it off before I came across the classroom and made her skip the rest of the class. But all that got me was a bitten lip and a cock of her head while she stared at me with innocent doe eyes like she hadn't done anything in the world. Don't look at me like that! I sent her then. She looked down at her phone and then back at me, shrugging with her hands out in a way that clearly said What?

It was a great moment when the bell finally rang out, calling the end of the class. I bolted upright, stuffing everything into my bag and shoving my way through the crowd to get to her side of the room... where she was leisurely packing up her books and binders like she had all the time in the world. "Are you trying to kill me?" I demanded. She smiled and turned around.

"I don't know what you're talking about Jake," she promised me. Before I could explain exactly how much of a bitch she was being, teasing me in her innocent sultry way, she changed subjects. "Christmas is in less than a month Jake. What are we getting our dads?"

"Does it really matter what I say? You're just going to tell me that I should get something else for my dad," I grumbled.

"I was thinking... The snow will probably start sticking around Christmas time. Maybe we could get my dad, Sue, and your dad out of the city for a few days," she began. She was still worrying. But I guess she wouldn't be my imprint if she wasn't always thinking about everyone else during the day. That's what made her the Alpha female of the group. "There's some good fishing in California."

I balked, halting with her bag swinging between us. "You weren't kidding when you said out of the city," I said. She just shrugged.

"Well, I was thinking... We need to get the imprints somewhere safe. Maybe we could leave like Collin and Embry and anyone else with them and then the rest of the Pack can be there. You know, reinforcements," she explained.

"Are you anticipating a battle?" I asked her. There was no need to, from what the leeches were saying. Obviously, I wasn't putting all my trust in them, but she was acting like this was the newborn war all over again. She just shrugged. "Babe, nothing is going to happen. That's the whole point of the witnesses, remember?"A spark lit in her eyes. "I thought they were just here to make your life a living hell," she said with a smile. Clearly that subject was dropped. She dug into her pocket and found my wallet. "I forgot to give it to you at lunch," she explained, holding it out to me. I rolled my eyes.

"You might as well keep it," I said while my mind was shouting forever. "You have stuff to pay for right? For Christmas?"

The words must have sounded like I was giving her the keys to the city. She beamed up at me and pressed a kiss to my cheek. "Thanks, Jake," she said, burying it back in her backpack. She grabbed my hand then and started marching out to the floor, humming a little song. I got the feeling that she had just circumvented her problems to take my money... "So, for Rachel and Becca — -"

"What kind of monster have I created?" I laughed.