Chapter CLVI

A Month After the Battle

"I love you," she whispered to me. It was the first time that she had ever said it to me and I wasn't going to lie, it warmed me from the inside out. The major problem was that I wanted a completely different person to be saying the words to me. I wanted my children to tell me that they loved me before I dropped them off to their Auntie Rachel's house. But I'd settle for Nessie at the time being.

She disappeared behind the tinted windows of the car. I was graced with a smile from Rosalie and Emmet laughed when I waved at him. Jake wrapped his arms around my shoulders and drew me tight to his side.

"You know," he whispered in my ear while we watched them drive away, "you never did get to open your Christmas present." I laughed at him and rested my head against the solid wall that was him. "Does that mean that you don't want it?"

"It just means that I'm willing to wait until whenever you want to give it to me," I replied easily.

"Well then I guess you're in luck." Rosalie and Emmet's car had disappeared from view. I'm sure by some of his magical powers, Jake could still hear them or something. Whether he could or not, Jake swept me up in his arms and began jogging back to his little Rabbit. It was almost funny that after all the trouble my dad and Jake went through to find me a car, I never got to drive. I was always with Jake and we were always in the Rabbit just because of gas. He plopped me down in the seat and then jogged around to the driver's side. I watched him fumble a little with his box before he handed it back to me. "You have to wait until I say you can open it," he commanded.

"Why do you insist on surprises?" I asked him then. He didn't say anything to me after that. He just kept driving in silence. For a while, I had thought that we were going home. But Jake turned down a different road and continued. My eyes flashed to his while I tried to decide whether he'd meant to do it or not. He seemed completely confident in his course. After a few more moments, he made a sharp right turn.

"Cover your eyes."

"No way in hell," I laughed.

His hand, hot and huge, came to smack over my face, covering my eyes and making me blind to everything in the world. I bumped and jiggled as he drove which told me that we were on a dirt road, like all the roads in La Push were, but one that wasn't used very often. I pitched myself into Jake's shoulders and then against the passenger door to keep myself on balance. I had to brace my hand on the dashboard to keep my head from hitting when Jake came to a stop.

"Come with me," he implored. I hadn't even heard him move, let alone unbuckle my seatbelt and gently pull me out of the car.

I was hoisted up into his arms against, his hand still over my eyes to keep me from looking around. The asshole; some things just never change. It would be easier if he couldn't carry me with one finger. "Jake, why won't you tell me what we're doing?" I begged him. All I got in response was a laugh.

"Will you promise to keep your eyes shut?"

"No."

"Annie," he warned.

"What? You asked me and I gave you an answer."

"Ryanne Lee, please just cooperate."

"There's that word again," I hissed. He chuckled but stopped moving. I could practically feel him staring at me, burning a hole through his hand. "Oh dear God, fine. I'll keep my eyes shut," I conceded.

"Thank you." I was tempted to open my eyes and look at my surroundings when he moved his hand from my eyes, but decided to be nice for the first time in God knows how long. I kept my lids closed and turned my face into his chest. I hummed while I waited for him to finish whatever it was he needed both hands for. I heard the click of a door closing and the rush of cool air as we entered a house. Vertigo spun my head as he dipped to put me to the ground. I squealed and clung to his arms.