Chapter Fourty Four

It was here. The mission to Kannabi Bridge came three weeks later and Naruto wasn't ready. Three weeks of mental preparation flew out the window the second the mission was assigned.

As he and the rest of Team Seven rushed through the trees on their way to Kusagakure where the bridge was, Naruto thought over everything he knew about he battle that would soon take place there, which was basically everything he could; from casualties to strategies. Naruto had studied this battle thoroughly after that first battle with Madara and the Ten Tails, it having such a large impact on the bring about of the Fourth Shinobi War. This included making Kakashi Sensei tell him everything he remembered - which was helpful because Kakashi had a near perfect memory.

He knew that Minato would seperate from the others in order to distract the enemy and serve as back up to the Leaf's dwindling forces. Kakashi, Rin and Obito would go on to infiltrate their ranks and destroy the bridge. On the way there Rin would be kidnapped and Obito and Kakashi would go to save her. Obito would get crushed by falling rocks and give Kakashi his sharingan. Kakashi and Rin would meet the rest of the Konoha forces at the bridge where many - especially Kakashi - would be recognized after for their dangerous skills they would display there. Minato - or Konoha's Yellow Flash - would kill over a thousand Iwa shinobi and destroy the bridge turning the tide of the war in the Leaf's favor. The Third Shinobi War would be won not long after, by the Hidden Leaf.

The question Naruto now asked himself is, where would he fit into it all. Should he go on to save Obito and prevent Madara from getting his hands on him? Or should he go with Minato and help defend the front lines. What he wanted to do was simple and clear, he wanted to save Obito, but what he needed to do. . . . that answer alluded the blonde shinobi no matter how long he thought it over. He couldn't afford for Obito to go mad and start the Fourth Shinobi War, but he also couldn't afford to have Kakashi remain as he was. And who knows what would happen if he didn't have the Uchiha's 'dying gift' of both his friendship and his kekki genki to guide him? Kakashi could die on Kannabi Bridge without them, and there was no way Naruto was about to let that happen.

"Let's make camp here." Minato called to the rest of the team as the sky dusted over with the colours of a sunset. They came down from the trees and put up camp around a big rock on the edge of a grassy field, they were silent as they set up their sleeping bags - they didn't dare start a fire so close to enemy territory - and Naruto could sense that he wasn't the only one suffering from nerves, though he was certain the cause for his was entirely unique.

"Are you alright Naruto." The Uzumkai nearly jumped out of his skin when someone reached out to tap his shoulder, but it was just Minato.

Naruto let out a breath of relief and let his tense shoulders drop and tried to relax a little. "Of course, why do you ask?" he wondered, he was proud that he was able to keep his immense stress from invading his voice.

How ever convincing he thought he was, Minato didn't buy his bullshit. Call it a sixth sense, but he knew something was up. "Tell me the truth Naruto. We are about to face a real threat and someone here could get killed-"

Naruto flinched and kept his eyes from darting to a certain someone. "I just- it's just nerves." he said after a moment.

But again Minato didn't believe his excuse. Naruto had proven himself to be quite the seasoned shinobi despite his young age, and seasoned shinobi didn't get 'nerves'. He let out an aggravated sigh. He thought this could have something to do with the secret the teen was so adamant on keeping, if he could just figure it out. . . "Alright. Fine. Don't tell me. But I will be here to listen any time." he promised softly.

Naruto let out a breath he had been keeping in. He nodded. "Thank you. But I'm alright." he said. He really was grateful that there was someone that was willing to listen, but he just didn't know how to express what he was thinking. Maybe Minato could have helped, but maybe he couldn't. Minato wasn't the one who traved back in time and there was no guarantee that he would be able understand the events of the future or the importance of them.