Seven

Ken felt like he's about to stand in front of a firing squad and is about to die.

He didn't know how many times he rubbed his sweaty palms at the sides of his pants alternately and he was sure it already created sweat stains on the fabric. He tapped the left side of his chest, telling his heart to calm down.

"Ken, you can do this," he whispered to himself as he bounced on his toes.

He finally took a deep breath and rang the bell.

In his past short relationships, he never felt this nervous before that he felt he was going to have a cardiac arrest. Well, maybe because he never met his past girlfriends' parents. It wasn't the norm, but he felt the need to meet them personally now, because he had never been this serious for a girl before.

He stepped back in shock as the door suddenly opened and revealed Tessa who was quite surprised with his sudden appearance. The beautiful woman's eyes widened at the sight of a bouquet of roses in his hands.

"Oh, Ken. What made you come by?" Tessa asked.

Of course, Tessa thought, he came for Kaycee. She and Scott had known Ken and Kaycee's relationship alright, which really surprised the both of them given their daughter's stand on relationships and her personality in general. Or maybe they just didn't expect him, if they were to be honest.

Ken smiled nervously. "H-Hi, Tessa. I'm sorry if this is sudden," he said, sweat lining his forehead and he was unknowingly gripping the bouquet tightly.

Tessa laughed at his behavior and she opened the door wide. "Why are you shaking? Do I look like I bite?" she grinned. "Come on in. Wait, I'll call Kaycee –"

"No! Uh, not yet..." said Ken, still smiling sheepishly. "I want to talk to you, actually. You and Scott. Uhm, this is for you," he smiled, handing her the flowers.

Tessa was taken aback at the gesture. "For me?" Ken nodded. "Wow, thank you –"

"Hey. What's the meaning of this?"

Both of them turned to Scott who was walking over towards them, with arms crossed and with a scowl on his face. Ken smiled nervously at Scott as the latter stood beside his wife, staring at him from head to foot.

"Hey. Didn't you know that this goddess is taken since before you were born? I didn't know you're into married women, Ken –"

Tessa slapped her husband's arm, laughing. "Stop being ridiculous, babe," she said, rolling her eyes. "Kenny wants to talk to us," she sweetly smiled and clung to her husband's arm.

"Babe. I was kidding," he said, kissing her forehead.

Then he turned with a stern look on his face to Ken who was still standing awkwardly by the door. "You. Come on in."

"Y-Yes," Ken nodded rapidly and followed the couple.

Scott raised his brow as soon as Ken sat in front of them.

"Don't mind him, he's just being overly overprotective," Tessa said, chuckling at her husband's overprotective dad mode.

"That's an understatement, actually," Scott said. "Now, what do you want to tell us, Ken?"

Ken looked at the expectant faces of Kaycee's parents and taking a deep breath, he summoned all the confidence he had. "It's just...I only just want you to know that I'm serious about Kaycee,"

Scott and Tessa looked at each other, with the former raising a brow. "Are you asking for my daughter's hand in marriage?" he had to ask.

The boy's eyes widened. "N-No! I just want to let you know, that's all..." he trailed away, embarrassed.