𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

THAT'S TROUBLING !

☀︎

IN THE WOODS, THEY HAD WALKED WITH ONE ANOTHER FOR QUITE SOME TIME. It was only a matter of time before the sun had set and the moon had risen above them. Through the tops of the trees, it had barely shined through, a very small glimmer in the night. In their hands, they held on to flashlights, watching their step and for any sudden movements in the trees for anything lurking before them.

This had carried on for some time in silence. After Jonathan and Nancy had fought over Steve Harrington's type of character and attempted to drag Alex into their debate, they had grown quiet. Alex had appreciated the silence much more than the bickering, that way she could listen for even the smallest of sounds out in the woods.

"Did you hear that?" Alex stopped in her tracks, listening to the sound of clicking off to her left. She shined her flashlight in that direction but saw nothing. Still, her heart raced, fearful of what the monster could do if it had been out there.

"Heard what?" Jonathan whispered, he and Nancy coming up to Alex's side.

"I've heard it before," Alex said quietly, straining her ears to hear it again but now there was silence. The silence had only felt as if it had been mocking her, possibly playing tricks so that she could have a moment of fear.

"That's troubling," Nancy whispered, looking around them. She had believed that Alex had heard something, but she wasn't sure that she wanted to believe that it was what they had feared. Turning her flashlight off from the left, she scanned the woods before them in case something had been hidden before them. Before she knew it, the sound of whimpering had come from the other direction. "Wait, I hear something!"

Following Nancy's lead, they had listened carefully for the whimpering animal lost out in the woods. Even if it had not been the monster, it was an animal in pain. One thing that could've caused it was the monster. So they had all held on tight to their weapons as they headed through the forest.

As the three grew closer to the sound of the dying animal, they had shined a light on a deer laying in the woods. Frowns had appeared on their faces at the thought of something horrible happening to something that looked so innocent. All had kneeled down for a better look, but it had only hurt them more to see it in such pain.

"We can't just let it suffer," Nancy said sadly, looking at Jonathan. She slowly held the gun up towards the deer with a frown deepening on her face. It was best to put it out of its misery than to leave it laying, scared and helpless as it had died.

"I'll do it," Jonathan said softly, holding his hand out for the gun. Nancy passed it over hesitantly. All had stood up, taking a few steps back as they watched Jonathan nervously raise the gun in his hands. When Jonathan pointed it down at the dying animal, Nancy grabbed onto Alex's arm, both turning their heads slightly to not see him shoot the poor deer.