𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT I SAW !

☀︎

ALEX HAD BEEN SAT ON HER FLOOR FOR WHAT HAD FELT LIKE HOURS. All she could do was stare down at the floor, anxiously chewing at her fingernails as she forced herself to replay every moment again. She forced herself through this torture, knowing that if she had kept it together, there was a chance to find Will or Barb inside of that place. Even worse, sometimes her mind had wandered towards the thought of what the monster had done to the deer, fearful of what it could've done to someone like Will Byers.

For once that night, her mind had been brought elsewhere. It had been the sound of taps against her window. Her heart rate had picked up as the taps had grown louder and more persistent. Letting out a heavy breath of air, she stood up on her shaky legs. Sitting on top of the bed had been Jonathan's baseball bat-- a decent weapon to fight off something for a moment-- at least until someone could call the police. Maybe even Jim Hopper would come and stop all of this.

Her fingertips had grazed the handle just before another tap had followed. This had caused her to wrap her hand tightly around it to the point that her knuckles had turned white. Releasing a free hand, she hesitantly reached for the curtains before yanking them open and raising the bat higher in the air.

Outside the window stood no monster. It was only Steve Harrington with a concerned look spreading across his face. Sighing deeply, she dropped the bat down to her side before resting it against the wall. Pulling open her window, she motioned for him to come in, not returning a smile that he had given her. He had been thrilled to see someone he wasn't currently outraged with and her not being as happy felt heart-wrenching.

She had grabbed a blanket off of a chair, heading to her bed, and took a seat, placing it over herself. It wasn't much, but she hoped it was enough to hide her shakiness from him. His attention had been more on the bat that she once had held onto. "Jesus, Alex. Were you gonna hit me?"

Steve took a seat beside her, looking her over with his eyebrows pulled together in concern. She hadn't spoken a word to him which was unusual. Even if she was angry, she always had something to say. He shook it off and decided to speak about what had been on his mind. "Okay, well, you won't believe what I just saw." Silence had only followed, so he continued. "I went to check on Nance, see if she changed her mind about going to the movies tonight. Instead, I see her and Jonathan Byers snuggled up on her bed together."

For the first time, Alex turned and met his eyes. "It's nothing. Believe me."

"Look, I know you're his friend, but you don't know everything about him, okay?" He had expected to get a rise out of her or even the smallest glare. Yet, she turned away from him without any kind of reaction. He frowned. "Are you okay, Alex?"