LI

Destruction leads to a very rough road but it also breeds creation
And earthquakes are to a girl's guitar, they're just another good vibration
And tidal waves couldn't save the world from Californication
~ Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Californication

I rub my eyes as I peel the comforter off of me. It's another morning waking up in a cold room.

I stretch my back as my phone rings on the bedside table, probably Isla, wanting to meet for lunch as she has the day off.

It's been over a month, almost two, since I last saw Erik and I've been doing okay.

I haven't talked to anyone since then and have taken the time to work on my writing.

My sock-clad feet hit the rug under my feet as I move towards the door.

"You're up?" I question, as I see Lucas sitting at the island.

My apartment is an open concept floor plan in one of the new buildings in LA.

Thank god Will sold the house, that money is really helping me right now. Not to mention that I am somehow still working with the band even though I barely interact with them.

If Devon, Kyle, or Lucas want to hang out they have to come here, I refuse to be around Erik.

Childish, I know.

"Yes, I am, thanks again for letting me crash here. I really appreciate it, I don't want everyone to know about my date with Mitchell. Pretty sure Kyle saw us the night the two of us had the house together." Lucas rests his head on the countertop as I move towards the coffee machine.

"You guys had the house to yourselves?" I question, "Erik and Kyle were gone?"

"I thought they were both gone, but apparently not. Both came home late though." Lucas shrugs a shoulder, "Kyle was supposed to be staying the night with Isla, but they got into a fight."

That would have been the weekend I was in Boston, when they fought over some stupid little thing like Kyle saying he doesn't care what they do when he was the one who asked to come over. There has to be more to the story but that is all I know.

"Where was Erik?"

Lucas is quiet for a minute before answering, "we didn't know until he came back, but he was staying at Ava's."

"Why do I know that name?"

"She's not a good person, Avril. She's toxic and Erik doesn't see that. She's someone who has been with him since the band moved to LA. She craves stardom and will do anything to have the light on her." Lucas hesitates before continuing, "she's been someone who he's always gone back to when times have gotten rough or if he feels like he needed to escape, but he hasn't had that urge to see her since you joined us on the road."

Maybe that was the girl who was hanging off of him, literally, in the nightclub the night before I met them.

"Has he asked about me?" I turn my back to Lucas as I quickly brew the pot of coffee, not sure if I truly want his answer.

"The odd time he will." I just nod my head at him before turning around to face him with a fake smile plastered on my face, "you know he's busy with his cousin."

Scarlett has made improvement from the last time I heard about her, she's participating in treatment and group therapy. There have been the odd setbacks and the days where everything is too much, but that is expected.

They aren't going to release her early. They believe that she needs to be there the whole length of the treatment, as it is her second relapse in three years.

"I know, I just thought we had something special," I mumble, hoping he didn't hear me, as it was more for myself.

"You do and that's what is scary."

So he did hear me.

I raise an eyebrow at him, prompting him to continue, "remember Kyle's comment?"

"Which one?"

"On the bus when we found the two of you asleep, which by the way I snagged a photo of." I laugh at Lucas as he shows me the photo.

"Well there we go, but no I vaguely remember it." Kyle has made a ton of comments in the short time I've known him, most being at the expense of someone else.

"It was about Erik actually falling asleep with you, he's never been comfortable enough to fall asleep with anyone, even on the bus with all of us. I guess it took him forever for him to fall asleep when he first moved to America, I think that's where some of the insomnia comes from, plus his lack of trust for others."

"Then why push me away?"

"Because that is scary for him; he trusts you enough to fall asleep and stay asleep. He also thinks he is broken and doesn't want to break you, the perfect little angel." I give him a questioning look at the use of perfect little angel, "he described you as that the one night we were sitting at the fire."

"Your friend is a headache." I mumble as the coffee machine beeps and I pour two mugs of the coffee, "do you want cream or sugar or are you still trying to drink your coffee black?"

"Give me the damn sugar," Lucas mumbles, putting his hand out.

After we both finish our drinks I head back to my room to finish packing before tonight, I'll be flying to Boston tomorrow morning before catching a flight in mid afternoon to Ireland.

Kai is leaving school a week early, which she doesn't seem too concerned about as she is still insisting on not going to college.

Her father will never allow her not to get some kind of education.

I stuff enough another sweater into my suitcase before looking through the clothes I had to buy, as most of the clothes that I had from Boston have been sold.

Thank god for online shoppers wanting cheap designer clothes at half the price.

Isla had been so gracious to accompany me yesterday to the mall yesterday to help me find appropriate December clothes for Ireland as she made us hit up every winter looking store we could find. She even let me borrow some of her clothes as she told me it's going to be cold.

"Are you decent?" Lucas yells as he knocks on the open door with his eyes closed.

"Yes." I laugh as he rushes onto the empty space on my bed.

"I like this comforter where did you get it?" Lucas holds the material between his fingers as he admires the skull and flowers on it.

"Some online store, I think it was called The Mighty Skull. Why are you in here?"

"I was going to ask if I can sleep in your bed while I'm house sitting?"

"No fucking in it." I laugh as my phone lights up beside my suitcase. I pick it up to see to a message from Erik on the screen.

I'm sorry.

Edited by GirlReader133