Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Ever since Rose had left, William was not himself. His temperament had flared more than once. And compared to his old habits, new ones appeared. Instead of wooing servants, he was seen destroying household objects (flinging a rather large scale amount of china at walls), scaring off a good amount of maids.

He was like a shell of the man he once was. He hated Rose for making him feel like this in such a way. She didn't love him after all and he shouldn't care as much as he did but he couldn't stop his heart from feeling things. He was uncontrollable. Not even his grandmother dared to interfere. The old woman seemed heartbroken seeing her grandson act like a beast instead of a proper man.

"He's lost his mind," Jonathan murmured as he watched from afar with Charlotte on arm.

"I've never seen him like this ..." She murmured as she saw her brother with his head on the table, gaunt and depressed. But within the next second, a vase would come crashing down onto the ground. Even if his grandmother or sister attempted to lecture him - the words fell empty to his ears.

"He's in love but perhaps the lady doesn't share sentiments," Jonathan commented.

"Don't be ridiculous, I'm sure Rose has a heart within her too. Knowing my brother, I'm sure he's done something foolish to displease her."

"You're quite the clever observer," Jonathan said with a smile, kissing his wife quickly as she nodded.

Charlotte approached William tentatively as she prodded him as if to check if he was still conscious.

"What are you moping here for?" She said sternly.

"What does it matter Charlotte? Nothing matters," William murmured, turning his head away from his sister's gaze.

"Rose matters doesn't she?"

Silence. But Charlotte didn't leave and so he finally spoke up.

"That doesn't matter because she doesn't love me." William muttered in the most depressive tones.

"And you're going to do nothing?" Charlotte responded in disbelief, dismissing his previous statement quite wholly.

"Tell me sister, what am I do? Force her to be my side until she does?" William barked, sitting up straight now, the bags below his eyes looking far more sunken than the time he was injured.

"This will do neither of you any good! If you love her, fight for her you fool!" Charlotte preached, nearly slapping the palm of her hand at the back of his head.

"You don't understand Charlotte. It hurts the more I try. She's only went through all of this for my mistake." He gritted his teeth. He knew it was terrible to say that their child was a mistake but that was only thing that held them together.

"You're more of a child than I thought. Be a man and show her that you're willing to let yourself be destroyed for her sake. Make the sacrifices needed to prove to the women your heart desires. It's love isn't it?" Charlotte said calmly.

William had never expected his sister to be the one to comfort him in a time like this. But he silently nodded.

"Love is never easy. But it's worth it when mutual sentiments are shared. Don't forget that dear brother." Charlotte said squeezing her brother's hand in encouragement. "I must excuse myself but I think Jonathan needs me for something. Perhaps Nicholas has finally learned how to ..." the rest of her sentence was drowned out as she made her exit.

William stared into the window reflection, wondering what his self worth was at this point. So many things had changed in such a quick time frame. He was no longer the same careless flirt he had once so comfortably been. Rose had made him re-evaluate the important things in life. She had tamed the impossible. Even if she rejected him time and time again, perhaps he'd keep trying until she finally had a change of heart.

And so without mentioning another word to his sister or grandmother, he was off to the Pembroke residence. He was going to collect his wife and bring her back home properly in the glory that she deserved. 

A/N: Sorry for this being a short chapter. I just found out that within the span of three weeks I have to apply for this major internship so I'll be pretty occupied (apologies again!) Hoping for it to go well because it could be a hugeee thing. Anyways, thank you for your patience and for my fellow Americans, an early Happy Thanksgiving to you all! As usual, like, comment, vote etc!