Chapter 5 - Our Pact

A/N- Apologies for the delay! The past holiday/festivities week kept me occupied. Hope everyone had a good time :)

----------

The week swept by with more work, just like it always did. Again on Friday, Khushi found herself gathering the remaining files to work at home.

She owned a 2-bedroom house in an upscale neighborhood. It was still less swanky than where a CEO should live. Though she never felt the need to shift anywhere else. The only visitors she had were Payal and sometimes her uncle and aunt. A friend might pop in rarely but that was about it. Her current flat was suitable for her.

She dumped the files on the dining table and plopped in her couch. Kicking off her heels, she stretched her legs. The cellphone in her hand chimed. She unlocked it immediately thinking it to be a text from the unknown stranger. It was a spam message.

The last time she texted the stranger was 5 days back. They had bid each other goodbye ending the conversation. She tapped her thumb on the home button of her phone, contemplating. Getting over her reluctance she took a breath and typed.

(May 12, Friday)

-Khushi- 9:21pm || Any more movie recs?

She reread the single line. It wasn't the perfect opening but it was the safest. While rechecking her phone for a reply, she it dawned on her that she still didn't know if this stranger was a he or a she. She just knew this person was in his early 30s.

-Unknown- 9:34pm || I am hurt. :( You think of me only when you need to pass time over the weekend.

The text made her sigh in relief. The stranger had not ignored her.

-Khushi- 9:35pm || Weekdays, I have work. Weekends, I am alone :(

-Unknown- 9:35pm || No boyfriend?

-Khushi- 9:35pm || Nope.

She had again shared a personal tidbit with the stranger. Till now Khushi had revealed that she was younger than him/her, a girl and single. Yet the only thing she knew about this person was their age. She wanted to know more about this stranger yet she didn't feel comfortable asking outright.

-Khushi- 9:36pm || What about you? Any girlfriend/wife?

-Unknown- 9:36pm || Are you trying to figure out my relationship status?

Khushi blushed and closed her eyes. She was indeed trying to figure out his relationship status and if he were a man.

-Unknown- 9:37pm || Never married. Had a girlfriend long back.

Khushi felt somewhat relieved. Then doubt casted on her mind again. It could be a woman. People were more open now about their sexual orientation. She didn't know why she was so fixated on this. It wasn't like she was going to have a relationship with the person. Heck they were not even friends. Yet for some reason she liked chatting with this person. To clarify her doubts without being obvious she typed a question.

-Khushi- 9:38pm || Any boyfriends?

-Unknown- 9:39pm || What do you really want to know?

Khushi felt her heart beat increase. Sh*t! The stranger had seen through her question. She took some time to compose the reply.

-Khushi- 9:41pm || I just want to level the field. You know I am- A. a girl, B. younger than you, C. single.

-Khushi- 9:41pm || I just know you're in your early 30s.

Instead of fooling around, she should have asked the person outright, Khushi reckoned.