Chapter 25

C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y - F I V E

Zach's P.O.V.

I could still feel the anxiety in my chest even though the stressful part was over. I finally asked Kelsey to be my girlfriend and it feels amazing that she can actually tolerate me enough to say yes. It was a bit unexpected, but I thought it was worth a shot. I'm glad I took it.

"So, are you and Kelsey a thing now?" Ryan asked as we both sat down at the lunch table.

I nodded, Kelsey and I exchanging a knowing smile. She truly is one of the nicest people I've ever met, and I'm extremely lucky to have her as my first girlfriend.

"That's cute," he whispered jokingly to Marco, not thinking I heard his comment.

"I heard that," I exclaimed, flashing him a smile.

Ryan studied me closer, a confused look on his face. "Is something different with your eyes?" he asked, looking right into them. "They look....clearer."

"Guess," I replied, giving him a playful look. I found it amusing that he was trying so hard to guess.

Ryan gave me yet another look, seeming to be thinking when Luke jokingly smacked him on the back of the head, lightly of course.

"Don't you realize he's looking right at you?" he inquired, motioning towards me. "Zach can see, you idiot!" He meant that in a teasing manner.

A smile grew across Ryan and Marco's faces as they turned back towards me. I don't like being the center of attention, so I turned my gaze towards my lap, slightly embarrassed. I felt Kelsey gently squeeze my hand in support and I glanced over at her comforting smile.

"Why do you look so vulnerable, Zach?" Ryan asked with a grin on his lips. "That's great news!"

"Yeah, I guess it is," I replied, a small smile forming on my face. "Sorry, I just don't like being the center of attention," I added on, reflecting my thoughts.

"It's okay," Kelsey reassured comfortingly. "We can talk about something else."

"Thanks," I whispered as the table erupted into chatter.

I remained quiet as I took a few glances around the massive lunchroom. I quickly noticed Amelia and her friends, whom I can't stand. They're probably the most annoying people I know, especially since they put Kelsey as their bullying target. I absolutely hate that. Amelia acts like she runs the place and I don't understand how so many people like her.

She's a jerk.

I then realized that I haven't seen, nor heard my least favorite person in this building: Jonathan, which is weird. I normally run into him before lunch.

I let out a small sigh as I listened to everyone's chatter from around the table, attempting to not think about it. Almost like it was on cue, I heard his voice appear out of nowhere, and I tensed up.

"You okay..?" Kelsey inquired, noticing my distinct fear.

Before I could retaliate, Jonathan was at our table. I didn't dare to lift my eyes in the anxiety that I would automatically be judged by who was standing directly behind me.

"Well, look who we have here," he exclaimed in a mocking tone. "It's the band of losers."

My gaze snapped upwards to meet the eyes of someone who I definitely didn't want to mess with. Jonathan seemed to tower over everyone, especially me since I'm not the tallest of guys at this school, my height being about five foot seven to five foot eight.