44

After the night on Halloween, I was so terrified that I had stayed in the hospital by Lexi's bedside

After the night on Halloween, I was so terrified that I had stayed in the hospital by Lexi's bedside. When she woke up so disoriented and confused, my heart broke for her. It's probably for the best that Lexi can't remember a thing about that night, but I'm stuck with the vivid images haunting me in my dreams.

For two nights, I have fallen asleep on the couch in the girls' apartment, and for two nights, Lexi has woken up in tears and begged me to sleep beside her for the remainder of it.

Asleep in her room, Lexi's face when I get up to get a glass of water is peaceful and unmarred by lines caused by frowning. The water is ice cold and I shiver as it slides down my throat. My eyes are tired from lack of sleep but that is the least of my problems as I see Lexi emerge from her bedroom.

"Angel? You oka—" I'm cut off as she hugs me tightly to her. I'm surprised, but I relax and hug her back, holding the back of her head to my chest. I feel her body start to shake as she's wracked with sobs, the wetness of her tears soaking into my shirt but I don't mind, I just hold her tighter.

"Shhh, everything's okay, you're home. I'm here, and you're safe." I smooth down her hair and try to calm her. She pulls away slightly to look up at me with brown eyes that look black with the lack of light.

"Chase please don't leave. I don't think I can slee―"

"I won't Angel. I'm not leaving you until you force me to alright?" She nods. I wipe the tears from her face with my thumbs and she closes her eyes, breathing in deeply to settle herself. I take a second to trace my eyes over her face.

"C'mon, love. Back to bed."

TRIGGER WARNING

The rest of this chapter mentions scenes of sexual assault.

Please skip if this makes you upset or uncomfortable.

"No! Please! Michael, please stop!" I jolt awake at the sound of Lexi screaming and thrashing in the bed. I blink a few times, my eyes adjusting to the morning light and I hover over her. Tears are running down her face as she continues to scream. I have no idea what to do so I do the only thing that feels right and I talk to her.

"Lexi, it's Chase, wake up, Angel." I try to say soothingly, keeping the panic out of my voice. I reach down and wrap my arms around her, which only causes her to thrash more.

"Please don't! Please," Her voice cracks as she pleads and sobs.

"Lexi! Wake up! It's Chase, you're okay, you're safe," I try my best to wake her up and she stirs before opening her eyes and seeing me. Tears still flowing freely down her unusually pale cheeks, her breathing is heavy and she's sweating from the exertion.

"Chase?" She asks in a broken voice. I nod.

She reaches up for my shoulders and pulls me to her. I try to lift up from her a bit so that I don't crush her under my weight but she pulls me in closer so I hold her tightly. Flipping us over so she's now straddling my waist with her head buried in my neck, her arms wrap around me and she hugs me for dear life. Snuggling impossibly closer, her body is wracked with sobs.

Slowly, she starts to calm down the longer I hold her and I smooth her messy hair down, whispering soothing words into her ear. I notice that she's shaking. "I remember," She whispers into the silence.

I freeze. "Do you want to tell me what you remember?" I ask, trying to keep my voice from breaking. I need to stay strong for her. She needs me.

"Everything. I remember the drink he gave me, and him coming outside with me. I remember trying to go inside and then I blacked out. Next thing I knew..." She trails off, crying again.

"Shhh, you don't need to talk about it, it's okay." I hug her tightly for both of our sakes. I need to know that she is here with me and nowhere else. She's safe.

"I was over, over his shoulder on the stairs. His hand was on my... He locked the door to the bathroom and put me on the, on the floor. It was so cold and I tried to scream but he had his hand on my mouth. I felt so heavy. I couldn't do anything but scream. He unbuckled his belt and ripped off my underwear." She shuddered, then looked up at me. "Then you saved me." She hugs me to her once again, clinging to me like a koala as I lay there awake, holding onto her as if she'll disappear. My body is tense but she doesn't seem to mind as her breathing slows and she eventually falls asleep just like that.

My heart breaks for this girl.