0.8

•- Laine Bennett -•

Waking up was a bad decision. Not that I had a choice but my head was pounding aggressively. How people could do this daily is beyond me. I can't last one night without feeling like absolutely shit what I wake up.

Someone taps on my door before it's pushed open gently.

"You look like ass," Thea states as I push myself up so my back is against the headboard.

She was fully clothed and smelled like she'd showered thankfully.

"How the hell do you do this so often?" I ask, taking the medication and glass of water she had so kindly brought me.

She shrugs her shoulders and takes a seat on the edge of my bed. "Practice makes perfect," she chuckles, "Besides, I was the partied you were to good doer. You just can't be both."

I nod my head, an idiotic choice on my part. I'd been hungover before but the aftermath made me decide to only drink on necessary occasions. And of course my first week of work was a sure example of a necessary reason.

"I didn't do anything stupid did I?" I ask, falling back against my headboard gently to not disrupt myself any more than I'd already done.

Thea shakes her head, giving me the small amount of relief I needed. "But Austin Wood isn't at all what you made him out to be," she points at me like I should know what she's referring to.

Because I don't remember shit. Everything is like a blur. Like I'd been crying the entire night and tears covered my normal vision.

"He bought us the drinks, Lainey. You seriously can't forgot a hot man like that. Is he seeing anyone because I would love to get on that hunk of a man," she grunts, making it pretty obvious she was having some pleasurable thoughts. But not in my fucking bed.

"If you're going to have sexual thoughts about my boss, can you do it away from me? I'll never be able to look at him the same," I sigh, lifting my legs over my comforter only to find my bare legs. At least I had the decency to change into a pair of pajama shorts before knocking out. Unless Thea changed me in which case I don't want to know.

"I'm just saying, the man is too hot to not want. If I didn't have the plan of living vicariously through you, I'd get him myself."

I raise my eyebrow as I pull my hair out of the ponytail it's been in from last night. A lousy one at that.

"What boss just buys their employee a pint of beer to share with her friends? Especially from what I've heard. He's so obviously wants to take you to bed."

I couldn't disagree about the first part. But from what I can remember as it comes back to me, he felt bad for being a bitch. He deserved to pay dammit.

"Don't get your hopes up, Thee. I'm just an assistant who people think will fall to her knees and last no more than a month. I know myself better than that. I'm not adding into the scandals. That's what's damning his company you know. All the interviews are about his sex life and not the company. Finances are damn low unless he decides to act better."

Thea shakes her head, a humorous smile on her face, "You really are a business woman at heart. I have to say, I was surprised you weren't using that degree to your benefit. There are so many high paying jobs in the finance industry."

I shrug my shoulders, "Numbers and statistics are fun and all, but no place was hiring for financial positions. I took what I could get. You and Gram won't live forever and someone needs to start supporting us since the shop is in slight decline."

Thea falls back on my bed, her self curled hair bouncing on the mattress. "I know. I just wish she wasn't considering selling it. We were practically raised there. Me especially. I didn't get the suburban life, Laines. All I knew was the shop and the thought of it's demise is crippling my heart."