42

I feel groggy as I pry my eyes open only to be greeted by white

I feel groggy as I pry my eyes open only to be greeted by white. Shutting my eyes again, I try to open them slowly this time to allow them to adjust to the light. When they finally do adjust, I realize that I'm in a hospital room. Looking around quickly, I panic until I feel a grip on my hand. I look down and see Chase's blond hair. He's sleeping with his head on the side of the bed and his hand is firmly grasping mine. Why am I here? What happened?

I squeeze Chase's hand and rub the skin with my thumb, trying to stir him. "Chase. Chase, wake up," I say softly, running my other hand through his hair. He stirs and looks up to me sleepily before seeing that I'm awake and jumping up quickly. He immediately wraps his arms around my body and I savor it, although I'm even more confused than before.

"I'll be right back," He says before leaving the room. When he comes back a minute later, he's joined by a woman trailing behind him, a doctor I'm guessing by the lab coat and scrubs.

"Hi Alexis, I'm Dr. Paulowski. How are you feeling?" She asks, looking at my monitor and a chart, which I'm guessing is mine. I think about her question.

"I feel okay. Why am I here? Did I break something?" Looking between the poker-faced doctor and Chase, I notice a look of guilt on one of the two. I narrow my eyes at Chase and he looks away.

"Miss. Thompson, may I speak to you alone?" Dr. Paulowski asks, motioning for Chase to leave. I furrow my eyebrows.

"Can he please stay?" I reach my hand out for him, feeling extremely uncomfortable and needing his familiarity. He looks torn but moves over to his chair and holds my hand, facing the doctor.

"No problem. I'll get right to it then. Miss Thompson, do you know why you are here? What is the last thing you remember?" She asks me with a straight face, not giving anything away.

"I have no idea why I'm here, and the last thing I remember is going to a party and dancing with my best friend." I wrack my brain for anything but come up short. "Chase, you were there." I turn to him and he just keeps looking at the doctor.

"Alexis, do you know what day it is?"

"Um, November first? The day after Halloween? Why am I here?"

"Don't panic, I will explain what happened." Dr. Paulowski says gently.

"I should tell her, I was there." Chase cuts in, sounding upset. He looks up and Dr. Paulowski nods, "I will be right here. Take your time." She says softly before walking to stand to the side. Chase is still holding my hand but he won't look at me directly.

"Chase." My voice cracks, tears well up in my eyes. What happened to me? Why is Chase upset?

He takes a deep breath in. "At the party, I was watching you, keeping an eye on you. You were dancing with Faye and having fun, and you went to get drinks. You and the bartender were talking and laughing." He stops, looking at me with a bit of anger in his eyes that isn't directed towards me. "You brought Faye her drink and kept dancing. I took my eyes off of you for a second." He stops again and I can see him visibly tense up at the thought. He pauses.