Chapter Twenty-One: Give Up

I stepped away from Axel, making him let go of me. He looked shell-shock as I only stared at him, trying to reason with myself that everything actually makes sense.

The problem was, it makes absolute no sense.

I’ve been fighting and arguing with Axel since I was sixteen, how the hell am I supposed to react when I find out that all this time, he had feelings for me.

“Say something!” I practically demanded.

The director stopped the filming as he told the camera to stop rolling, looking at the both of us with worry. George walked up to us, concern reigning in his features, “Is anything wrong?”

I looked up at him then to Axel, shaking my head, I gave him an apologizing frown, “Can we take a break?”

He seemed hesitant to do so, but with my expression and Axel’s responsiveness, he nodded to my request. I said a thank you, before placing my gaze back on Axel.

He’s still staring into thin space as if he had seen a ghost.

Sorry for what I’m going to do, but this is going to bring you back to the real world.

I lifted my hand and slapped him right across the cheek. He flinched up at the contact and lifted a hand to rub the spot I just hit.

His eyes landed on me and he gulped audibly. I’m still trying to find some confirmation that whatever I just said was true – actually, I was praying for it to be false.

Deny it, Axel, tell me that you hate so we can go back to our normal lives.

“Do you like me?” I spoke to break the silence.

No answer, his lips pressed into a tight line as it looks like all color was drain from his face.

If he wasn’t going to say anything, I shouldn’t just waste my time on this. Turning on my heel, I walked away from him as I went to the hall where the dressing rooms where located.

We were in the peak of shooting so that meant that this hall was practically empty, maybe the privacy is just what I needed.

Reaching my dressing room, I slammed the door shut, sinking to the floor as I pulled on my hair. This is so frustrating!

Seriously? It’s as if my life isn’t as complicated enough. All those times he has been asking me for advice, I was just basically telling him to impress me. I feel like a fool.

I was just feeling peachy with my unrequited love for Adam, now that guy comes into the picture?

Then, somebody started to pound loudly on the door, yelling for my name, “Valentine!”

Oh, so now Axel Brooks wants to talk!

“Do you or do you not like me?” I screamed.

We’re going to have this conversation through this door because we both know we’re not ready to face each other just yet.

Instead of an answer, he started to knock loudly once again, “Let me in!”

Not until you reply to my inquiry, buddy.

“Did you take me for a fool?” I asked, standing up from my spot, pressing my body to the door, “All this time, you thought I wouldn’t figure it out?”

Well, I was basically a fool because I hadn’t realized it until now, but hey, better late than never. He should have just told me.

“Valentine, open this door!”

Damn it, Axel, just answer at least one of my questions!

God, I feel so stupid right now. I just want to rewind to that day when we met so that I could make sure none of this would happen. I mean, he couldn’t have possibly started developing feelings for me on that very night.