chapter 9

"She's coming to." I opened my eyes blearily. Keirran, Ethan, Leansidhe and a redcap, who was clutching a saucepan with a head shaped dent in it, were all gathered around my bed.

"This time pet, try and keep her under control, hmmm? I would hate to have to turn her into a pipe organ." I could hear their voices, see their faces, but none of it was registering. As I became more alert I was aware that I had a pounding headache. I groaned, was thiswhat it was like when mum had one of her migraines?

"Rebecca? Rebecca can you hear me?" I waved a hand in the direction of his voice, not wanting to move my head and make things worse.

"Come on darlings, let's let her get some rest. You can leave when she's better, that's if she hasn't been turned into a harp. I'm off now pets, I've heard rumours of a talented pianist somewhere in wales. I've been looking for another one ever since I let Charles go. Paul, is that what he was called? Never mind, it doesn't matter. I should be back in a few hours if you haven't already gone. Ciao, darlings." There was a flash of light as the Exile Queen vanished in a cloud of glitter. I groaned and shielded my eyes. Keirran walked over to the bed.

"Come find us when you're better." He said, speaking softly so as not to cause me even more pain. "We'll leave as soon as you're ready."

***

I must have drifted off at some point because I awoke to birdsong and light streaming through the window. Faery glamour, Keirran had said. We were currently in the between, with no sun and no animals. Leansidhe had created all this. It was a trick, an illusion, but a beautiful one all the same. My head felt much better, though I did have a small lump on the back of my head. I found the boys in Leansidhe's living room, or one of them anyway, talking in low voices. The ended the conversation abruptly when I entered, both of them looking at me warily.

"Are you okay?" Keirran asked, tense and ready to spring into action if needed. I nodded, wincing as I did so.

"Much better, thanks. What actually happened back there?" I asked for I could remember nothing of my earlier encounter with the murderer. They glanced at each other uncertainly.

"Well.... you were knocked unconscious by one of Lea's redcaps..." Keirran said, not meeting my gaze.

"Why?"

"Um.. well... I guess he just felt like it." I raised my eyebrows, not convinced by his poor lying. "Come on. Lea said we could use the trod." He said quickly, an obvious change of subject.I went along with it, deciding I would find out what really happened later. Right then I needed to focus on mum.

***

"Isn't he just adorable." Leansidhe cooed. She was showing off a new musician, not that anyone cared. Soon he would be just the same as all the other humans she had stolen over the years. She even called them all Charles rather than keeping their old names. "Say hello Charles." She prompted. He obeyed, seemingly unaware that he had just been kidnapped by a dangerous faery queen.

"Not now Leansidhe." Said Keirran, his tone sharp.

"I'm surprised you haven't left yet, dove. Her head should have recovered by now."

"She's fine."

"Well then what's the hold up pet?

"She's fine, but her memory isn't."

"I don't know what you mean darling." She said, but her tone and raised eyebrows suggested otherwise.

"You know perfectly well what I mean Lea." Keirran growled. "Give her back her memory."

"What, and have her kill all my half-breeds? I don't think so."

"She won't. We only have two days before war starts. She won't waste time." It was as if I wasn't even there.

"Fine darling, fine. But if she threatens anyone else in this house again I will rip out her guts through her nose and use them for harp strings. Just a friendly warning dove." She waved a hand carelessly in my direction, before I had a chance to think about what she had just said. It felt like a rug had been pulled out from under my feet. I staggered backwards as images flickered through my conscious. A man. Who is he? He looks familiar... then it hit me. It was like being wacked around the head with a ton of bricks. I almost fainted but managed to remain conscious as Keirran grabbed one arm and Ethan grabbed the other. The forced me to sit down. It was like there were two me's, battling inside of me. One wanted to go find the murder and make him pay for what he did. The other wanted to go and save mum. I sided with the one who wanted to save mum in the end. Killing that man wouldn't bring dad back, but it may mean that I lose mum. Besides I don't really want to spend the rest of my life as a harmonica. Keirran had his arm around me, eyes full of concern. Ethan stood beside us, tense and ready to spring into action. I will come back for him one day. I will avenge you dad. I took a shuddering breath and nodded.

"Let's go find mum."