Chapter Ten - Commune

They walked for an hour through trees and fields.

"How large is your territory?" Kat was impressed.

"From the pack house, you can run for two days in any direction and still be within the boundaries." He shrugged, before smiling at her. "At least, a normal wolf would take that long. You're something else. Although, we only patrol around an hour away from the house. We have scouts and spies in the trees further out." He grinned.

Kat returned his smile.

"That's huge. I'm surprised my brother did not come to try and take it from you earlier."

Cal's eyes darkened, "Oh, he tried. We're the only pack to ever survive his onslaught. Hence, the reputation. Other wolves imagine me worse than him, as only pure evil can best the monster." He shook his head, shamefully.

As he talked, a large chain link fence rose in the distance. It stretched as far as Kat could see, like a huge metal wall separating them from whatever was behind it.

Cal sighed as he got closer to the fence, armed guards nodding at him solemnly.

"Alpha." One grunted, pressing a pass to a keypad, the gate buzzed a slid to the side.

Cal's hand shook in hers as he led her through, the gate crashed closed behind them.

Kat didn't know what she expected, but this wasn't it.

Beautiful white painted cabins lined a weaving street, it branched off as far as the eye could see, white picket fences and flowers adorned the small gardens. Men and women milled around, aimlessly, barely acknowledging each other.

Kat watched them as they dug and planted in their gardens, their faces emotionless. Cal observed them sadly.

"What is this place?" Kat whispered.

People turned towards her as Cal shook his head and pulled her down the street.

They weaved around rows and rows of cabins, Kat stared at the zombie-like occupants.

Finally they stopped in front of a nondescript door. Cal took a deep breath and knocked.

An old man opened the door. Dark waves of hair grew down his back, a thick graying beard curled wildly on his chin. His clouded green eyes searched for his visitor.

They landed on Kat first, his once handsome features twisted in confusion, before he saw Cal.

"Son." He rasped.

Cal's face brightened, "Yes, it's me, Father." His voice was thick with emotion.

"Come in, come in." His father murmured.

He stepped aside and they entered a living room. It was plain with a coffee table and two squashy sofas. A large bookcase took up the entirety of one wall. Several books lay open on the table and floor. Kat looked into the adjoining kitchen and saw more books, half read, pages curling.

"I, I forget where I am... in the book." Cal's father mumbled, watching Kat.

"Are you eating?" Cal frowned at his father's thin shoulders, collar bone jutting sharply through his pale skin.

"Yes, Doc comes, watches me eat."

Cal nodded, frowning.

"Sit down, Father. I'll make tea."

Kat sat opposite Cal's father. she glanced out of the large window at the beautiful, eerie village.

"It's sad, isn't it. Pretty but sad." Cal's father whispered.