Chapter Twelve - Contemplate

On her thirteenth day away, Kat found the village she had been looking for.

Walking among the cottages she searched for the symbol of the seers.

The villagers eyed her, warily.

She stank of earth, she knew, having used her father's method to hide her scent. Her hair was matted and her eyes raw from crying.

Children ran from her path, their mothers pulling them indoors, shutters coming down on shops. She was a rogue, they didn't deal with her sort.

Finally, at the ninth cottage, she spied a hut in the garden. Three circles tightly looped together had been carved in the wood of the door.

Kat pushed the hut door open, her nose assaulted with the scent of witchcraft. A woman sat in the middle of the room, knitting, several cauldrons bubbled around her.

"I've been waiting for you." She said, simply, without looking up.

"Uh, right."

"Sit down, Katja." The woman looked up, her eyes were pale white, clouded by cataracts.

"Ah, yes, my physical eyesight isn't what it used to be, yet I see more clearly than ever before."

Kat rolled her eyes and sat cross-legged in front of the woman. She wasn't a fan of Seer's, witches, was their real name. Her mother had hidden her visions from the pack for fear of being associated with witches.

"I-"

"I know why you've come, child. I cannot give you the answers you seek. I am not privy to that level of information. Only those on the closest terms with the Moon Goddess can advise you."

"And they are?"

"The Oracle of Three, of course."

Kat snorted, "They died millennia ago."

The Seer raised her eyebrows.

"Did they now? You have the sight, do you? No of course you don't, otherwise why would you need me?"

"I don't need you, you just told me that." Kat stood up irritated.

"You need me to tell you where they are."

Kat's mouth dropped open, "you know where they are?"

The Seer rolled her eyes.

"Right, I get it, you know all, except the answers to what I really want. Where are they, then?" Kat was irritated, it showed.

"Knowledge requires payment."

"What kind of payment?"

The witch smiled, pointing at a cauldron to her left.

"Spit in it."

"Pardon you?" Kat raised her eyebrows.

"It needs Werewolf saliva to be complete. Make it easier for me and just spit in it , would you?"

"Can't you ask literally anyone in this village?"

"I can, but they don't want a favour from me." The witch smiled crookedly.

Kat walked over to the cauldron and spat into it. The surface bubbled and turned black. The smell filled the room, it smelled like Cal.

Kat frowned at the woman, as she smiled a toothless grin.

"Perfect, dear."

"What is it?" Kat whispered, her stomach flipping at his smell.

"Love potion, quite potent it seems. You love someone fiercely."