Chapter 26

C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y - S I X

Zach's P.O.V.

Not going to lie, but ever since I've been on that plane, I've been having more and more thoughts about my parents, and they're not good ones.

My subconscious keeps trying to tell me how I'm not a real part of this family, even though they treat me like one. Almost every single time I'm with Hayleigh, part of me wants to tell her, but the other part doesn't. I've decided that it's best to keep hiding it, even though how painful it is for me to do so.

I laid down on my bed as I found myself staring up at the ceiling in thought. No matter how hard I tried, they wouldn't go away. I shut my eyes, the blackness I was used to returning as everything in my mind meshed together into one giant blur.

I may have started to drift off, but was interrupted by a knock on my door.

"Zach, are you busy?" Hayleigh's voice asked from behind the door.

My eyelids hesitantly opened as I rubbed my forehead softly, brushing the few strands of hair that made up my bangs away from my eyes. "No, what is it, Hayleigh?"

"Could you help me with my addition and subtraction?" she asked quietly as she gently cracked my door open with a hopeful expression on her face. "I don't really understand it."

"Sure, I'm coming," I replied as my haunting thoughts slowly began to disappear. I was not going to listen to them.

Not now.

Not in front of Hayleigh.

A smile grew across my little sister's face as she turned around towards the downstairs area, her long hair almost whipping her own face as she did so.

But she's not my sister.

I quickly shoved my taunting subconscious' thoughts about Hayleigh out of my mind, not wanting to pay any attention.

Not now, not ever.

It seems like my own mind hates me.

I made my way down the stairs, not feeling the need to use the handrail since I don't have to worry about missing a step due to lack of sight. Hayleigh was already in the kitchen, a thick textbook in her hands.

"They sure give you a giant book for one subject," I stated, glancing down at the giant book. "And for second grade."

"Yeah," she replied, an annoyed look on her face as she dropped the textbook on the kitchen table. It landed with a loud thud since the cover was hardback.

"My book's only a tiny bit larger than yours and I'm in precalculus," I replied with a chuckle.

"Pre-....what?" Hayleigh asked, tilting her head as she attempted to pronounce the word.

"Calculus," I responded, smiling a little bit at her puzzled expression.

"What?" she questioned again, still confused.

"I take a sort-of advanced math," I replied while running my fingers through my hair. "It's still math, but harder."

"Oh okay," she shrugged while flipping through the pages of her textbook.

I still find myself staring at people, and I really need to stop. Pushing away even more thoughts before they could start, I watched Hayleigh, a smile growing across my face.

She truly is the best sister I could ask for.

After about twenty minutes, I finally was able to explain to Hayleigh about how she can do her math correctly. Like normal, she ranted to me about her teacher, Mrs. Collins, and I tried so hard not to laugh as she did so. She sure complains a lot, but after all, she's only seven.