{thirteen}

Don't even go near a mirror
It'll kill ya
Trust me you don't wanna see yourself
[Stop] the noise
It's too late
It's the choices
Now I don't even wanna be someone
What made me think I was special
I'm not special
Turns out I'm like everybody else

- Lennon Stella, "Like Everybody Else"

k e n z i e

I feel like I'm walking on air. I haven't felt this happy in ages. I thank Johnny for the billionth time today as he drops me off, and he grins in reply.

"No problem. I love seeing you happy."

"I miss seeing that smile, it's been such a long time," I sing back promptly.

Johnny chuckles as he returns it. "And although I don't have you..."

"I know now that I need to," I giggle.

"Somehow make you mine!!" We both finish together, and Johnny laughs.

"Well, I gotta run," he says regretfully, and I nod.

"Today was the most fun I've had in a really long time. We should do this again sometime."

Johnny's face lights up. "Of course. I'll see you next week, like usual. Text me if you need anything, and remember to keep that smile on your face."

"I will." I laugh lightly. "My cheeks hurt from smiling so much."

"I like to hear that." He waves as he drives away.

+++

"Kenzie! You're up early!" Annie greets me with a warm hug as I come into the kitchen. "You have to tell me all about what happened yesterday."

I smile, remembering. "Oh gosh, there's so much to tell you. I had the most fun I've had in a really long time."

"That's great!" Annie's face brightens. "Now that you're awake, go get dressed, and I'll have breakfast ready in a jiffy."

"Yes, mom." I roll my eyes playfully as I edge toward the hallway.

"Aren't you gonna say hi to me?"

Turning around, I'm greeted by Hayden's warm embrace.

"I didn't know you were here!" I exclaim, wrapping my arms around his waist.

"Clearly," he teases, brushing a strand of hair from my face. "Hurry up and get changed so we can eat. I'm starving."

"Yes, dad." I smirk at Hayden as I skip back to my room.

Finally, after rummaging through my closet, I finally decide on a pair of black jeans and a red checkered crop top. Combing my hair back into a ponytail, I then straighten my room. It's been a while since I've fixed my bed, because it's been a while since I've even gotten out of bed.

I leave my room and head for the kitchen, humming softly. I can't hear anyone in the kitchen, so I tiptoe into the living room to see where Annie and Hayden are.

And then I see them.

There they are, entwined on the couch, making out.

It's like all the life drains out of me, like I've been punched in the stomach. The floor drops from under me, and my throat contracts. I can't breathe. I can't think.

At the sound of my feet, Annie pulls away from Hayden, looking up at me.

"Oh my-" her eyes widen. "Kenzie-"