Chapter 66 - Tensions

** this chapter was accidentally deleted I had to re-write everything I sincerely apologize 😔 I don't reminder exactly what I wrote back then **

The bullet pierced through the officers flesh, escaping through the back of his arm but the force was enough to knock him down.

Zach went to him in an attempt to cover the wound. He screamed as the young man began to bandage him up.

"What the hell!?" Victor had arrived with more police, noticing the officer down on the ground.

"It's just a flesh wound ..." groaned the cop but the pain of the bullet still burned him.

Victor knew that he needed to be careful, James was severely unstable and the detective was convinced that the priest would not hesitate to begin a shooting rampage whether or not it put himself and Elizabeth in harms way. But Victor was determined to save the girl , and to arrest James. He needed him alive in order to find Albert.

He turned back to the small shack and lifted his arms up as though in surrender.

"What the fuck are you doing?!" Zach growled at him in anger.

"Get back and stay back," said Victor calmly, "Father Beckford!" He called out to the door with the small hole where the bullet had passed through.

"I'd like to speak to you ... and to show I mean you and Elizabeth no harm I'm unarmed !" He approached the tiny shack slowly and timidly.

"I just want to make sure you and ... Elizabeth are alright?" He spoke loudly to ensure his voice carried away inside.

James held onto Elizabeth, with her back against his chest despite the pain from her broken ribs he had to keep her standing. He knew they would not shoot if she was in the way. With the gun in a tight grip, he peered through a small crack at the detective with his hands up. But he also noticed the amount of officers behind him , crouching behind their car doors taking aim.

"We're fine just leave us be!" Shouted James.

Victor shook his head playfully, "Now Father, you know as a detective I need evidence! Is she there with you? I would like to see that she's alright..."

This can't be all about her ... Victor thought carefully.

"...and you as well, I heard you took quite a tumble down. I can get you an ambulance in 5 minutes !"

James looked down at Elizabeth, she was bleeding a lot from the broken ribs, her whimpering was breaking him down.

He responded nothing but silence.

Victor stopped at the front steps and continued to speak to the door, "is Albert there with you too? I'd like to speak with all of you, get this worked out-"

"He's gone! Left!"

Victor lowered his arms, his fingers found his chin in a pensive manner, perhaps....

"Father ... Tell me... what's happened ?" His voice grew soft and gentle "we can sort this whole misunderstanding out right here and right now, just show me Elizabeth please ..."

James thought for a bit, the heaviness in his step made the floor boards creak.

"First get them back ! Get them all the way back and lower your weapons !"

Victor commanded the officers and regrettably they lowered their guns and stepped back towards the trunks of the cop cars.

James whispered in Elizabeth ears, "don't speak unless I tell you. Don't worry, I won't let them have you, you're mine Elizabeth. I'll get us out of this I promise," he kissed her forehead and continued, "whatever I do trust me... trust me I won't hurt you..."