Chapter Three

Rosé

"What are you doing for your fundraiser?" Aaliyah asks as she chews on her gummy bears.

"Bia came up with the game but we don't have a name for it yet."

We're sitting on the bleachers with our backs against each other as we watch the cheerleaders and football team have their practice. West Hampton Lake U's annual fundraiser is in four weeks and all the art students are in charge of promotional material and games. Bia came up with a game but we don't have a name for it yet and since we don't have a name, we can't create anything for our game yet.

"What kind of game?"

"Seven minutes in heaven meets truth or dare featuring cherries. It's really childish but we thought it'd be fun and a lot of people will play it." It sounds like a fun game but I don't know how to play it. Bia has explained it to me several times but I'm stupid, so.

"Sounds cool."

We both watch the cheerleaders and the football players. Noah is practicing his throwing and catching with another teammate. I need to talk to him and reassure him my panic attack wasn't because of him—it was but it also wasn't. The unfamiliarity was what made me break, not him. Noah is sweet, has been to everyone, I know he wouldn't hurt anyone intentionally.

<3 <3 <3 <3

After my last class of the day, I walk to my locker to grab my Astronomy books and assignment papers. Daniel is at practice so he'll be late but I'll start looking for books and study in the library as I wait for him.

"Rosé."

I flinch out of surprise at the sudden deep voice next to me.

"Shit, sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." Noah Carter leans against the lockers beside mine, his hands casually inside his varsity jacket.

I lightheartedly laugh.

"It's okay."

My eyes linger on him, he's so gorgeous and he's got the same soft, chocolate-colored eyes as his brother but where Noah's are warm and flirtatious, Daniel's are cold and wicked.

"Listen, about what happened two days ago," Noah nervously rubs the back of his neck, his cheek tinted with a light blush, "I'm sorry, so fucking sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you in any way, I was only trying to hold you back from falling. Shit, if I knew you'd have a panic attack, I wouldn't have touched you. I'm sorry, Rosé."

He's so sweet.

"Noah, it wasn't your fault. You don't need to apologize, you were only making sure I was okay." I smile warmly at him.

"So you're not mad at me?" Noah asks.

"Why would I be mad at you?"

"I made you cry."

I giggle.

"You didn't make me cry, I'm just a cry baby, I cry over everything. I cried last night when my cat ate my cookies." I'm a cry baby.

Noah laughs, his eyes glowing in relief and amusement but there's a deep pool of admiration behind his lake of chocolate.

"So, you accept my apology?"

"I accept your apology."

We stand there for a moment, staring into one another's eyes. Noah and I have spoken before but only when Aaliyah and Matthew were around.

"You studying with my brother today?" Noah asks with a lazy grin on his full lips.

"Yeah, we're studying in the library."