1.3

•- Austin Wood -•

"You're a real bitch, you know that?"

I laugh loudly, Laine probably being able to hear me from my office. "You're the one who wanted me to get tested. Don't forget you're my assistant."

She sighs, "But having me make the appointment? And the fact that you called beforehand! It's so embarrassing."

I shrug my shoulders before realizing she couldn't see me. "You know, you sure do spend a lot of time on your phone. How do I know I'm getting my money's worth?"

She snorts, the sound unexplainably adorable. "You make me sound like a phone sex worker."

I cough loudly, her comment humoring me. "You sure don't have a filter when you're comfortable now do you, Laine Bennett?"

"No, Sir. You can take it or leave it," she giggles, not knowing the effect her use of the word "Sir" had on me.

I clear my throat and push my body from my chair slightly. I give myself a moment to recuperate before brushing my thumb across my nose.

"What do you say about dinner?" I ask, changing the subject for my benefit.

"I think it is a very important meal. Why?" She asks in a very doubtful and questioning tone.

I grab the baseball from my desk and toss it between my hands, "I have to get you to bed someway. What better way than a meal? You, me, candlelight dinner."

"Considering you have plans with your mother tonight, I think she would just love it."

I hum in response, "She can take a rain check."

"My apologies, Mr. Wood, but she is only free tonight. Would you like me to reschedule your other plans for a later date?"

Realizing how dangerous it really was to talk on the phone during a work day, I decide to play along despite the fact that no one but her could hear me.

"Well if that's the case, Miss. Bennett, I think you should reschedule my other plans for Friday night."

There is a moment of silence before she clears her throat. "I'll have to check with your client but if accepted, what are the preferences as of location of this meeting?"

"I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise. How does five sound?"

"I will get right on that."

•- Laine Bennett -•

I was taken aback I will say. I know this isn't a date. Austin Wood doesn't do dates unless it's for public reasonings and this was certainly not that. This was simply him thinking he could get into my pants and no. I will succeed.

"Hey there pretty," Mahalia greets, eyeing the floral arrangement curiously, "Do I get to know who the secret admirer is?"

I shake my head, "I'm afraid not. The card was just a business card. Whoever did it, left no trace. They are beautiful though. I'm honestly a bit afraid to carry them around with me. Not that people would mug me for my pretty flowers, but what if they die you know? What do I do then? That's just mean," I ramble, trying to get her to forget that I wasn't going to tell her who is a suspect for this polite action. Despite it being anything but polite.