━ 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘅𝘅𝘅𝘃𝗶

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█chapter thirty-six: happy beeps█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
chapter thirty-six: happy beeps
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

    DESPITE THE ACUTE SENSE of panic that he feels building in his chest, there is something incredibly soothing about being in the cockpit of his X-wing for Poe as he approaches the First Order fleet

    DESPITE THE ACUTE SENSE of panic that he feels building in his chest, there is something incredibly soothing about being in the cockpit of his X-wing for Poe as he approaches the First Order fleet. Regardless of how much danger he might be in, Poe knows that he would much rather be out here — soaring over the stars and skies of the galaxy, with his hands behind the controls of a ship — than trapped inside the Raddus, unable to do anything but watch and twiddle his thumbs with worry. Especially after being sidelined for weeks by the general. Sure, this could be the last mission that he ever flies, but at least he won't be going down without a fight.

And really, three First Order cruisers shouldn't be that difficult for him to handle. In fact, the more that he thinks about, the more confident Poe becomes that he's faced worse odds than this. The first example that comes to mind is the time that Agent Terex sent an entire fleet of his thugs after Poe on Kaddak to take him out and he still managed to escape with his life intact. Then again, on that particular mission he'd had his team with him and it hadn't been successful without a cost. Black Squadron had lost one of their own that day — L'ulo Lampar — and it had haunted Poe ever since.

Even so, he knows that this mission is different. This plan is his and his alone; no other lives at risk, aside from his own. His only goal right now is to stall the First Order for as long as he can — and maybe draw some of their fire onto him — so that there is a secure path to safety from D'Qar for the remaining rebels on the ground. Nothing else matters to him aside from getting the people below him to safety.

That is, until the massive fucking dreadnought materializes right in front of him out of hyperspace.

"Holy shit," he swears, grateful that his comms aren't turned on yet. "BeeBee, buddy, please tell me that I'm just seeing things and that you're not seeing that ship."

Unfortunately, his droid confirms for him that he is not hallucinating and Poe swears again before flipping on his comms. "Uh, hey, so this fucking sucks," he complains over the radio to whoever is listening back on the Raddus. "Any ideas on what exactly I'm dealing with here?"