━ 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘅𝘅𝘅𝘃𝗶𝗶𝗶

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█chapter thirty-eight: the impossible█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
chapter thirty-eight: the impossible
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█chapter thirty-eight: the impossible█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

     "SHE DEMOTED ME," Poe says, sounding shell-shocked. The pilot is sitting on the steps of the Raddus's bridge, knees pulled up to his chest in a way that makes him look impossibly small. As angry as she had been only a few minutes ago, Indira can't help but feel a twinge of sympathy for just how pitiful her boyfriend looks and she sighs. "I can't believe it. General Organa actually demoted me."

She doesn't want to say that she told him so, but ... she totally told him so.

"I'm not going to gloat," Indira announces, setting a hand on his shoulder before taking a seat next to him on the steps, "because I know you're already beating yourself up, but are you starting to regret not listening to me now?"

He groans and presses his face into his knees. "Totally regretting it."

"You lied to me, Poe Dameron," she scolds him, poking his bicep with her index finger. "That was uncool."

"I know," he says, the words muffled. "Totally uncool."

Seeing Poe so miserable makes her anger dissipate faster than smoke in the wind. In fact, Indira can't even find it within herself to properly chew him out any further. Commander — or, more accurately, Captain — Poe Dameron was a truly pathetic sight to see. There was no point in her making him feel even worse.

"I'm sorry, flyboy," she tells him with a sigh, rubbing his back.

"It's my fault," Poe mutters, lifting his head to look at her. "I shouldn't have disobeyed Leia. It was stupid. I just really thought I knew what I was doing."

"Well, you won't do it again, right?" Indira asks, raising her eyebrows. "So at least there's that."

His face falls. "Yeah, I guess," he mutters. "But Leia's really pissed at me. I've never seen her so angry before. You should have heard her. She told me to 'get your head out of your cockpit' and that 'there are things you can't solve by jumping in an X-wing and blowing something up!' and that "you weren't a leader out there"... she really didn't hold back."