Chapter 19

So I have a little phone charm connected to my phone and it has a bell on it. So, every time I move around I feel like a cat or something because everyone can hear me because of the bell XD

•••••

I decided to read a book.

Just one.

I thought that if I just read one book, my curiosity would be satisfied and I'd be able to continue my life without picking up another spell book ever again.

I thought that if I read a book, I'd find out it was mundane and put it back before I even read a few pages.

I thought that if I read one, it might turn out to fake and have no real meaning or impact.

I thought nothing would happen.

I thought wrong.

Reading a book only fueled my curiosity further and led me to reading more and more.

The books were not mundane and I read every single page.

They were not fake.

Something did happen.

I read the first book about the do's and don'ts and became filled with interest. Then I read the book on avoiding cursed books and gained valuable knowledge. These two books served as a gateway to even more books.

Equipped with the knowledge I needed to follow spells properly and avoid getting harmed, I no longer felt afraid to read the other books. Before, my anxiety stopped me, causing me to fear getting hurt. But without that fear, I felt unstoppable.

I didn't read every single spell book there was.

There were far too many and I didn't want to overload my brain with new information.

I wanted to learn each and every spell, one by one, so I could remember them all.

Because of this, I only read two more books. The first was a sort of beginners book and contained spells described to be easy.

As I read, I couldn't help but to feel more and more disassociated with reality. These kinds of things only existed in fantasy worlds. They were in books like Harry Potter and in TV shows like Dragon Tales.

While reading the first book, I kept double-checking to make sure it wasn't a storybook. Throughout it, I went through a period of disbelief.

It wasn't until I decided to cast my first spell that I realized it was all real.

I decided to try a healing spell as I thought it seemed easy and figured it'd come in handy someday.

In order to attempt the spell, I needed something to heal. I searched my body for any cuts or bruises. I couldn't find any on my parts of my skin that were showing, so I began moving my clothes around to check underneath them. It wasn't until I decided to check my hip area that I finally found something.

There was a small bruise right on my right hip and upon seeing it, I immediately recalled bumping into the corner of a table quite hard a few days ago. I poked the bruise gently which immediately causing pain to course through me.

I had found something to heal.

With that, I took a deep breath and began following the directions. I did exactly as the book told me to and cast the spell.

A part of me had hoped it would work while another part told me there was no way anything would happen.

I had my eyes closed, wanting to prolong my disappointment. I really thought that nothing would happen. I expected to open my eyes and still see a bruise on my hip.