Chapter 7

Later that night, I was discharged from the hospital. My cast, which was red, was big and clunky. It seemed that every time I would walk on the crutches, I would hit my leg and end up swearing like a sailor. Of course, Emily thought it was funny since she never heard those words come out of my mouth.

Getting into the car was another challenge. For some odd reason, Emily decided that she wanted to drive a really big truck. It even had steps on the side to help someone get in.

"Let me help," Jasper offered as he bent down as if to pick me up.

"Don't touch me," I snapped as I whacked him in the leg with the crutch.

"Ow," he said as he backed off. "Fine. You do it."

I give him a death glare before I toss the crutches into the front seat. Above the door was a handle, and the moment I grabbed it I realized I had made a mistake. I couldn't jump a foot in the air. Even if I didn't have a cast on I would still miss. Jasper, clearly annoyed, took it upon himself to scoop me up, and in the process of doing so he ended up hitting my leg against the door. I let out a small cry and my hand squeezed his shirt.

"Sorry," Jasper apologies. He moves more carefully this time as he makes sure I didn't hit anything else.

When I get in the seat, Jasper closes it before hopping in the back. Emily was still inside the hospital getting the pills I was prescribed. Jasper and I only left earlier because walking anywhere on crutches takes five years and the sooner I get home, the better. I haven't eaten since this morning and that leftover lasagna was calling my name.

"Hattie?" Jasper asked from the backseat of the car. Just because Jasper felt sorry for what he did doesn't make up for the past torment. "Hattie. I'm really sorry."

"You're not sorry," I say flatly.

"I am. Really," he said as he shifted and poked his head in the space between the front seats. "If there's anything-," he tries to say but I cut him off.

"Don't you fucking dare finish that sentence," I say as I turn in my seat. "If there's anything I can do? Are you serious? After all the things you have done to me since we were kids, this is the one you feel remorse for?"

"That's not-," he tries to say again but I don't let him.

"Stop talking," I yell. Tears began to form in my eyes and they were going to fall any minute. "You don't get to say those things to me."

"Hattie," Jasper said softly as if he were trying to comfort me, but that wasn't going to happen.

"Don't," I say bitterly at him. I felt as if my throat was closing up.

The drivers side door opened up and Emily climbed in. In her hand was a white paper that was full of the pills I had to take.

"I talked to your father," Emily said, which caused my heart to fall.

"What?" I asked in disbelief as I straightened myself up.

Emily looked at me and smiled. "Jasper's father. Sorry sweetie," she said as she put the truck in drive and pulled out of the spot. "We came up with a few punishments that you won't like."

I couldn't help but chuckle at his misfortune. "What are they? Waterboarding?"

"Well, torturing minors is against the law but I like where you're going with it," Emily says with a smile. "We'll talk it over during dinner alright. Hattie, you're gonna stay with us tonight."

"Oh, no. Its alright Emily. I'll be fine on my own," I try to sway her.

"Too bad. Besides, the doctor wants us to keep an eye on you since you did hit your head pretty hard," Emily explains. I decided not to fight her on this. Besides, Emily always took care of me when my mom was away. This will be no different. However, there goes my plans to have a romantic night with that lasagna.