67. maman

Ella sat at the end of the table with papers laid out in front of her, she was signing things like crazy but it was peace and quiet so she didn't mind.

Having been back in London for a week now, she was starting to think about where to go next. She was contemplating moving to New York with Timmy but she would need a bigger apartment than his if she was even going to consider it.

She was reading a letter attached to a contract she had been sent by one of her favourite directors, Greta Gerwig, when her mother stormed into the office.

"For fucks sake." She muttered, putting the letter aside.

"Welcome back from your rendezvous Eleanor." Her mum threw her a fake smile as big as the table she was sat at.

"Long time no see, have you come here to tell me I was asking for the sexual assault?" She snapped, not willing to take shit from her after the all the shit she had been collecting recently.

"Quite the contrary, I'm here to congratulate you." She shut the door but refused to take a seat. "It's a nice publicity stunt, can't say I would've ever thought of it. It's pure evil and for that i applaud you" She said with the same smile. Ella couldn't quite believe what she was hearing.

"You think I made it up?" She assumed that's what she was getting at. Her mother leant a hand on the table and stared right at her.

"You forget that I know you. You are a bad person Eleanor Lawrence." She spat at her.

"I'm not a bad person." She argued back. Her mum just laughed.

"You ruined this mans life with your accusations, you cheated on your boyfriend with your ex and then you think you have the right to try and be mother Theresa and complain about how 'hard' your life is. Then, as if that wasn't enough sin for a lifetime, you jet off to France for a week and leave everyone else to pick up the pieces of peoples lives that you've destroyed." She shouted. "You're a bad person and I'm ashamed to call you my daughter."

"You can leave now." Ella didn't dare to look her in the eyes, she couldn't show weakness. She didn't look up until she heard the door shut.

Her trembling fingers came to her eyes to wipe the tears away. They were ice cold as they touched her skin. She spun her chair round so no one could see her through the windows.

"Ellie?" A soft voice came from the door. She wiped her eyes once more before turning round to see her visitor. She already knew who it was, she only ever allowed one person to call her Ellie.

"Nicole? What're you doing here?" Ella couldn't believe it. Nicole stared at the pale, skinny girl who stood before her.

"I was here on business, thought I'd stop by and say hello. Now I'm glad I did." Ella stood up to greet her, wiping the remaining tears from her cheeks. Nicole attacked her in a hug, squeezing her only the way a mum could.

"Did Timothée ask you to come here?" Ella asked once they had stopped hugging. Nicole's eyebrows raised, she shook her head.

"No, hun. I had to come and see you after seeing all the news." She stroked her hair, sorting it out after their hug.

"Oh, well thank you." She smiled. They both sat down at the long table so they could have a chat.
"What are you doing in London? What glamorous role has sent you here?" Ella asked, just happy to be with her.

"Oh, I'm just here on business nothing fancy." She brushed her off. "What about you, what have you got planned?" Ella looked down and smiled.

"Well, I'm here to basically sign things for a couple of weeks and then I think I'm going to come to New York." She admitted, Nicole's eyes widened.