Xue Yang (xxiii)

Feng Xinya took less than two minutes to flip through and digest the over fifty pages of information within the file, to the Xue head's incredulity. As soon as he had finished, he passed over the files to Xue Yang to read over them himself, while he waited for him to finish.

He had nothing to say regarding the information. It had nothing to do with him, and frankly, it changed nothing he had planned.

The Xue family drama went way back to the current head's father, Xue Yang's grandfather. The Xue family had always been known to be the top family for the past century, but Feng Xinya was inwardly wondering how such incompetent leaders could possibly uphold that title for so long. For example, they couldn't even defend themselves from the schemes of others.

In the case of the Xue old master, he had similarly been set up and drugged by an opposing A Country large family, the Lin family. But, unlike the current head, he wasn't henpecked by his wife, so he ended up having more than one illegitimate child from that same mistress that he'd soon brought in after finding out she was pregnant with his child.

Actually, he had ended up falling for her and thus his wife, who only had one daughter, was pushed back and never had the chance to birth an heir of her own. Yes, in the end, the current head was actually the illegitimate son, while the aunt was the legitimate daughter.

Even this was not foreseen by Feng Xinya. Of course, it only caused him to raise a brow in slight surprise but it didn't change anything in the end. The aunt hadn't been given the position as the head of the house not because she was a woman, but because the old head favored his mistress and her children over his wife's daughter. Furthermore, it's not as if the current head was incompetent.

With this newfound information, it was too late for the aunt to take over the Xue family and she didn't have any children of her own. This was most likely why she resorted to another way to retaliate against the Xue family.

The aunt's motive differed from Feng Xinya's initial speculation in that she was probably just trying to enact a petty vengeance against the current head by having him experience the same thing she had in the cruelest way possible--to have him appoint his own illegitimate son as the head while the capable legitimate heir was still alive and kicking. It was just a bonus that the legitimate heir had to suffer such grievances in order to make the current head feel even more remorse.

Well, it definitely made him feel remorseful, but she hadn't considered Xue Yang's lack of ambition. The fact that he wouldn't fight for the position meant that it was easier for the Xue head to accept the results.

The irony of the whole situation was too strong that Feng Xinya couldn't hide the hint of disdain towards such trifles within this small Xue family.

Actually, the special forces could have attempted to arrest the aunt with the charges of collaborating with the organization as her name was recorded in the book that Feng Xinya had used to gauge Xue Yang's memories. It was just that her connection to the Xue family couldn't be disregarded and if the current head wasn't aware or fully convinced of her involvement, he had enough power to save or protect her. Even more importantly was that the power behind her was more than she let on.

As the only legitimate daughter of the old madam, she was given full support from her maternal family, which was the second most powerful family in A Country, the Qiu family.

While the Xue Family had control over the military even though they weren't soldiers, the Qiu family consisted of the soldiers within the military.

This meant that the aunt had more than just her Xue name to back her, but also the Qiu family. As a part of the military, no matter how powerful the special forces were, they couldn't easily strike at someone with the backing of both military families.