1.5

•- Laine Bennett -•

"So, what are you going to wear to dinner Friday?" Mahalia asks between bites of her sandwich.

I shrug my shoulders nonchalantly. "Whatever I wear to work Friday is what I'm wearing," I shrug, not caring about what my attire for this particular night will be.

"Okay, so what are the options? Because I'm not letting my best friend go out on a date dressed like a conservative fuck head. Even if you say it won't end in sex, you can't turn up looking like a Christian mom who shuns girls who kiss boys in high school."

I roll my eyes and bite into a carrot. "It's really not that big of a deal. I don't like this guy like that. We're just meeting up to talk. I don't see why it needs to be a big ordeal," I groan, resting my head in my free hand.

Mahalia puffs out air and falls back into her chair. "I haven't dated anyone in three months. Let me live through you, Laines. Pretty please?"

I shake my head and finish my lunch so I can return to work. "You sound like Thea and I don't know how to feel about that. But I should get back before Austin kicks my ass."

I gather my belongings and make my way towards my desk. I dump my belongings down and bring the phone to my ear to listen to any voicemails I needed to take during my lunch break, only to find one from Austin himself.

"Call me when you get back from lunch. We need to discuss a few things."

I raise an eyebrow and dial his office, letting it ring for a moment before he picks up. Or at least hits a button.

"I'm glad you listen to your voicemails," he chuckles, his voice vibrating through the phone.

I can't help but smile at his laugh. It was surprising he had one. He always acted like there was a stick up his ass and yet, he was starting to ease up around me. I'm sure he does this with every assistant to get them into bed, but I wasn't going to fall for it. I have much more common sense and pride for that.

"Oof," I reply, falling back into my desk chair very improperly, "You seem so shocked that I actually do my job. It's like you don't even know me," I gasp, giggling a few seconds later.

I could almost hear him shaking his head at me. Conversation was surprisingly easy between us. There were moments where I wondered if this was all just a front. The humor, the talking, if it was all just his way of drawing me closer so he could get me in his bed. And maybe it was, but something about it just made me wonder if he was really letting down his walls just for me.

"If I did get to know you, would you fuck me?"

I hum lightly, tapping my index finger against my lips as thought I was questioning it, "No, probably not."

Austin grunts in response. "You're really going to make me work for this, aren't you?"

I shrug my shoulders gently, "You think you're going to win but I hate to break it to you, Sir, I'm not going to fail to Austin Wood. I have a lot more self respect than to jump into bed with a stranger, so, yeah. I'm going to make you play hard. It's just unfair if you don't."

There was a moment of silence before he speaks in a much more deep and seductive tone that I was just not ready for, "This is all but a game to me, Laine. But the second I get you into bed, I might not let you leave for days."

The line goes dead and I was shocked. How could a man with terrible commitment issues, say such a thing? If I were to give in, I've already told myself it was a one night thing. There would be no feelings, no regrets, just one night with a good looking man and the days to follow would be just as bitchy as the first week I was here. There would be no holding hands in the elevator, no more flowers on my desk, no rides home, just two people who had one amazing night together, but won't act on anything that doesn't exist. But this all only if I fail. But I won't.