10: Maybe Perfect

Chapter 10

That morning I called Piper ahead of time to inform her that I was not driving to school, however, I didn’t exactly give her a reason, more like a ‘I just have somewhere to be after school’ before hanging up. Although, when she pulled up in my driveway she didn’t question me to why I wasn’t driving I knew the moment was coming sooner or later.

And that’s exactly why I’m currently at my locker prolonging my entrance into the cafeteria. Despite the fact that my mystery plans weren’t the only thing going on, for instance Piper and Jay’s little movie date on Saturday night, I just knew that I was going to be questioned once I walked into the lunch room.

I was just finishing up at my locker when a body, which obviously belonged to somebody who wasn’t paying attention to where he was going, bumped into me; sending me toppling down to the floor.

I looked up with a glare to tell the person who had pushed me off but stopped short when I saw Jett standing there with his phone in his hand and a sheepish expression plastered onto his face.

“I’m sorry about that Sophie, I wasn’t paying attention.” Jett explained, offering me a helping hand which I gladly accepted.

As I adjusted my bag on my shoulder I muttered, “Obviously.”

Jett’s expression was one of surprise but the look was quickly masked when he let out a nervous chuckle. “I forgot that you had a sarcastic side to you, but I truly am sorry. It’s just I was texting Dillon to make sure he was outside so he could head out for lunch, but hey, why don’t you tag along? It could be considered an apology for knocking you over.” Jett suggested with a smile on his face.

I was seriously conflicted because although I wanted to go to lunch with Jett and Dillon, I knew it would only raise more suspicion and teasing from Piper and Blake. I sighed in response. “I would really love that…” I started.

Jett probably knew what was coming because he shot me a lopsided smile. “But…?”

I smiled sheepishly. “But… I’m kind of having lunch with my friends because I still have to tell them that I’m going to your house after school and I have to get a couple details out of Piper about her date on Saturday night.” I explained.

“It’s fine, but we are still on for after school, right?” he asked.

I nodded in response. “Yup.” I replied, shutting and locking my locker door.

Jett smiled. “Okay, well I’ll meet you in the front of the school after the last bell. I’ll see you later.” Jett said, walking towards the front of the school to meet Dillon.