Chapter 28

C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y - E I G H T

Zach's P.O.V.

The soft vibrations of my guitar leaning against my chest as I played felt very soothing as I laid down on my bed in an attempt to keep my thoughts to myself.

I don't know how much longer I can take it. It feels like my own mind is against me, and I'm losing the internal war between myself and my subconscious.

I rested my head on my pillow, my fingers still moving smoothly across the frets of the guitar's neck. I felt my eyelids hesitantly close as I started to drift off, still playing my guitar.

Honestly, I could play in my sleep if I could, but that probably wouldn't work so well. I heard a knock at the door, which partially startled me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah?" I asked, subsiding the melody on my guitar reluctantly so I could hear the response.

"It's Hayleigh," the voice behind the door exclaimed.

I let out a sigh.

It's not like I don't want to see Hayleigh, but every time I do, I always get these haunting thoughts and they're extremely painful. I ran my fingers through my hair, brushing it away from my eyes.

"Come on in, Hayleigh," I replied as I sat up, keeping my guitar in my lap.

The door opened, and in came Hayleigh, her long, curly brown hair trailing behind her. Just looking at her never gets old.

"You're playing your guitar again," she stated matter-of-factly as she sat down on my bed. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" I lied regretfully. Hayleigh can see right through me, and that's one quality I sometimes don't like her to have.

"Because a while ago, you told me that you only play your guitar when you're sad," replied Hayleigh with a very mature expression for her age.

"Yeah, but-" She interrupted me.

"So, why are you sad?" she inquired gently, innocence flooding through her eyes.

I hesitated, not wanting to tell the truth because it would hurt her. I don't want that to ever happen... "Nothing, Hayleigh.."

"It has to be something," insisted Hayleigh with a prodding expression. "What is it?"

"It's nothing," I retorted, staring down at my guitar. "I can't be positive all the time, Hayleigh."

"Can I help?" she asked, scooting closer to me.

"Can you help by changing the subject?" I questioned as I brightened my gaze as well as I could. "Please..?"

"Sure!" Hayleigh replied, a thoughtful expression on her face. She hesitated a moment before asking, "Could you maybe show me something on guitar?"

I paused, a little bit surprised by her question. "Okay."

I took my guitar off my lap and carefully put it on Hayleigh's, positioning it on her chest. Her smile was spread from ear to ear, and I couldn't help but return it. The guitar was nearly bigger than her, and it was a struggle to get her comfortable with the large instrument.

I put her right arm over the large wooden body, and her left, I put it gently amongst the frets, forming the simplest chord on guitar I could think of.

"This is an E major chord," I noted while gently letting go of her fingers. "Now just play all the strings."

Hayleigh stared down at the guitar which was in her hands and slowly ran her thumb down the six strings while holding her other hand over a few frets. She played the chord correctly, which I was a bit surprised about since she's never even touched a guitar before. Then, she looked up at me with wide eyes.